Heater Box Ideas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryD

Reaction score
I have a 1970 bus and one of heater boxes is permanently stuck on.

And even if I could move the flapper valve, since it is a bug motor, the control cables and flapper valve controls do not line up.

Instead of replacing the heat exhangers/flapper valves (they appear to be very expensive), I am thinking I can get two manually operated exhaust cut outs with flapper valves from my local hot rod shop and put them down stream of the VW flappers. I would then lock the VW flappers full open and let the exhaust cut out divert the flow to either my cabin or to the ground.

While not the factory way, it should be less expensive and still be effective.

Any thoughts?

i bent mine up as red wards says, but the pin was a bit short for smooth operation so i cut the tab off turned it upside down and knocked out the pin to swap it for a bit of threaded bar. works a treat.

2012-03-23162631.jpg

if you make up a longer tab and keep the beetle controls you could replace the external spring to help it close itself. iv not got any pictures of that bit but the fitting kits available from most parts suppliers should have all the bits you need other than the extended tab.

Well, I decided to take a close look at the HE per a suggestion from the Samba. When I examined the dangling arm, I noticed it was bent and was hung up on a seam on the HE. Once I bent it off the seam, it sprung closed and now is 100% closed.

However, I like the idea about turuning the arm the other way and extending it across the HE to avoid having to make a Bowden Tube.

Latest posts