Heater Controls/leavers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivorcamper

Reaction score
hello,
im new to this game not message boards the VW world, anyway on my 72' dormobile the heads are missing on the heater controls/leavers on the dash basically 4 sharp leavers are stcking out looks like they have been snapped off. can anyone help i need to fit some new ones is it a case of taking out the dash also the ones on JK are plastic and dont look like the original metal ones that was on there.

it's a right fiddly job getting the arms out , but it is possible without removing the dash
have a look at this thread......Rocket ,Skitts & woodslat all have sets for sale
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£35?? i have a crap faded pair lying about somewhere its the fitting thats the problem. 4 screws round the speedo looks like i have to take the speedo cable off the speedo to get at it. all the wires round the dash dont give you alot of room to play with.

You shouldn't need to remove the speedo cable, although that isn't so tricky. Doing everything else is though :D

The white plastic clips are fiddly buggers. My van has never had the instrument panel screwed in place, so I can just pull it out over the levers (which have had the ends torn off) at the moment. Putting the levers back in is tricky tho'

To remove the white plastic plugs holding the heater arms in you need to get a bit of pipe about 6mm diameter, countersink the end a bit to make an internal cone shape and cut it to about 50mm long. Now you simple push the cone over the split end of the plastic plugs which will compress them and push them out. Worked a treat on mine and never broke one!
You still need fingers like knitting needles thhough :lol:

cheers i aint got no nitting needles pork sausages more like ha ha will give it a go though

I just grab a big fat screwdriver and put the flat side against the side with the cone and give a Herculean mashing with a deep guttural yell and they pop out. The plastic snaps into at least 5 pieces, but I attribute that to my dry climate. I always go in from under the dash for more leverage.

Latest posts