Hello and help with a Holdsworth camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Hello from Finland (or actually from Russia as I am working here right now)!

I just finished our '67 1500 Beetle project and now it's time to concentrate on our camper. It is a '70 LHD Richard Holdsworth conversion with interesting history. It was bought new by a English gentleman who began touring the world with it. He could not get a visa to Pakistan(!) at the Pakistanian border, so he sold it to a Finnish construction worked right there at the border and the new owner drove it to Helsinki in '76. He then sold it to western Finland where it was used as a shed (go figure..) while the owner built a house and I rescued it from them almost ten years ago.

Wilma1a.jpg
Wilma2.jpg

We have been all over Europe with it - done a few 6000km roundtrips to Spain and Eastern Europe and we love it, but as it is now beginning to slowly show it's age, it's time to rescue it's former glory - but I have some questions:

- I have never met other Holdsworth owners or even seen one, so I don't know what it is supposed to look like. The original cooker/sink (if it ever had any) is missing. Maybe some other parts also? I guess it never had a fridge of any kind?

- Can someone spot the missing parts from pictures, or even better, does anyone have pictures of 70ish Holdsworth campers? I believe there used to be a gas bottle in the engine compartment, but how was it attached? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for any information and sorry for my bad English spelling. I've been talking only russian for months now and seem to have forgotten all other languages :)

Kaitsu
Helsinki(FIN)/Omsk(RUS)

ps. Here's our fuel injected beetle with the works..

Stanssi_kunnossa_droppiolilla_th.jpg

your bug looks just like mine, and your the first holdsworth ive heard of i didnt know they existed. I love the mechanism for the roof and the fact is on the outside. cool car and cooler van

My mate has a Holdsworth, its a 76 though and the interior is different. Its based on a converted panel van and had a solid roof. I beleive RH used a lot of the same components in Bays as Devon so they can look quite similar. His has a gas Electrolux fridge along the long side of the van behind the offside bulkhead.

you do come across some Bay Holdsworths here in the UK but I have rarely (if ever ?) come across an EarlyBay Holdsworth - I reckon it must have been one of the first he did ? (David Eccles would certainly be the person to confirm this ...)

I know of one other EB Holdsworth, belongs to a former LTV club member, its featured in Davids book on camper interiors 8)

Thanks for you replies.. Seems that we have a rare beaty. Davids book on camper interiors? What's the name of the book? Would like to try to get a copy and see the pictures.

Anyone know if Mr. Holdsworth or his company is still in business? And if so, how could I get in touch with them?

Kaitsu

Latest posts