Help, this one is really doing my head in!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robo

Reaction score
Ok where to start, intermittent starting fault. 1970 bay 1.6
Ignition lights on and nothing when key is turned
Two new starter motors fitted . Currently heavy duty bosh one
New ignition switch
There's always a switched ignition feed to starter when key is turned.
I've run a new wire from ignition to starter (made no difference)
Less likely to start when been left for a few days but still only starts 50% when hot
Hold key over ,tap starter and it will go everytime
However I've run a temporary wire from starter as well as ignition feed and when this is held onto positive of battery with ignition lights on it will always start!
Don't understand how sometimes it will start and other times it won't. Battery must be good as it will always start when I use temp wire from starter to battery. IM SO CONFUSED AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW THE FAULT this has been ongoing for a year or two .

Sounds like a bad earth, also check the starter motor bush in the gearbox

hope this helps
Vinvan

My thought was a dodgy solenoid! You never know , and don't cost the earth :lol: :lol: get it!!!!

J & P
:D :D :D

robo said:
Ok where to start, intermittent starting fault. 1970 bay 1.6
Ignition lights on and nothing when key is turned

Do the lights 'dim' when you turn the key?
If they do it's something at the starter end - you say tapping the starter works each time this points to starter too .....prob dirt inside - strip it down and give it a clean
(got same problem with mine at the moment) Bentley manual or Haynes have details or this youtube clip (a bit wiggly) shows the basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB7oiXLuKnI&list=PLdawfnzWt_neb-NHnQsWvvL8vyHZJyKTJ&index=18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My guess is missing starter bush in the bell housing...mine had similar symptoms. Pull the starter and have a look

Latest posts