Hesitation at low revs when warm

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: OK, I feel like a bit of an idiot! When I put the Pertronix electronic ignition module in the new Powerspark dizzy I actually dropped all the magnets out of the plastic ring that goes over the dizzy shaft! Assuming the orientation and polarity of these magnets didn't matter, I simply put them back into the ring and fitted it all back into the engine. Turns out the polarity REALLY DOES MATTER as the engine was only runing on 2 cylinders! I reset all the magnets making sure the polarity were the same and that was that fixed. I diagnosed and confirmed this fixed using the inductive pickup on my timing light.

Also, during this time, I tried cleaning out the manifold using the clutch cable method which was working OK until a cable snapped leaving half the cable stuck in the tube! I took the manifold off but noticed that the small crack I knew I had in the allumium housing bit was actually a very significant crack going almost all the way to the other side. So, after a bit of research I bought one of these:

http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=13528
500-dscfA001.jpg

It's a 'performanbce' manifold from CB Performance and it's a lovely bit of kit. It comes suplied with the pre heat pipes seperate, you cut them to length and push fit them into the main body. This mean the fit is perfect unlike the stock repro ones (so I hear). It's night and day how much this thing heats up, I can't touch the pre-heat pipes for any longer than a tap with my finger! I now understand why my old manifold was probably causing problems.

So I now have my original Bosch dizzy back in the engine with a new vac can and pertronix ignition (properly fitted!) with the new CB performance maniofold. I've ran the engine up to temperature, reset the timing and carb and all the tell tale signs of hesitation have gone. The engine sounds the best it ever has done. Unfortunately I won't be able to definitely tell if the hesitation has gone until I take it for a drive. I can't do this yet because the new manifold sits slightly more towards the rear of the bus meaning my original acceelerator cable is too short. I've ordered an EMPI universal 'cut to size' cable which should be here Wednesday, so we'll see then but I'm very optimistic. :party0053:

Latest posts