Hinge bracket on '71 Westy roof - noisy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony69

Reaction score
Hello EBers!

Wonder if you can help me.... My van is nearing the completion of a 6 year restoration and is looking sweet with loads of dollar dollar spent... I think all that is original now is the dashboard, rear axle, possibly one panel and the Westy front hinged roof! When driving along in any wind the roof makes an awful banging sound at the front. Obviously it is only held by two 2" bent brackets folded into each other so any movement of the roof is metal on metal and such bang/scrape travels through the chassis. Is there supposed to be any plastic/rubber cover on these brackets? I cannot find any detail online and I may just put some tape on them to deaden the noise a bit but its a very disconcerting noise - the danger with putting the tape on though is that it would reduce the contact surface of the area holding the roof on.....

A silly and basic question, I appreciate.... :? But any help/experienced feedback most welcomed :D

Thanks

Tony

You should also have a mount near enough directly over the rear view mirror. It's 2 hooks that lock together when the roofs down

Hi and yes, that's the bracket I am referring to and you described it far better. It is this bracket that makes the noise when wind gets under the front of the pop-up roof. That's what I am looking to reduce

Latest posts