Horn question/problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Electrics on bus just about sorted but for the horn, it works but its continuous, assume the outer tube is touching the inner, not sure if I have any parts missing, any photos/advice greatly appreciated :)

Hiya Marshy, the horn works in the opposite way on these. It has a permanent live and the switch / horn push is what completes the circuit to earth. Because of that the column needs to be isolated. One of the main reasons that they go wrong , is when people change the rubber doughnut type thingy on the bottom of the column because the new ones are crap and aren`t insulated. Once you know how it works its a bit self explanatory.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Work of the devil is leck tricks :mrgreen:

Check the plastic isolating ring on the bottom of the outer column where it sits in the round metal floor plate - and the isolator at the top of the tube where it goes through to the main bracket.

The outer tube is live and the button earths it through the inner column via the swipe terminals. (That's why there is a wire connecting the bottom of the inner column to the steering box - to pass current/earth round the rubber doughnut/rag joint.

Thanks guys, I changed the bottom isolator and think this is ok, can't see a 'top' isolator, anyone got a pic of point me in the right direction. Tempted to fit a push button at the minute.

t203800.gif

Hi all,

I am also trying to sort out the horn on my bay. Someone had a go at it long before me and has used a live wire clamped with a jubilee clip to the outer steering column to make it live.

I dont think this how VW intended plus it looks really ugly. My question is how should the outer column be made live?

Many thanks, Kris

Power goes to the horn and then returns up the outer column tube. It's not actually "live" in that if you short it to earth the hooter sounds rather than blowing a fuse.

The wire from the hooter connects to the bottom of the column tube using a standard spade terminal which fits onto the male spade sticking out the bottom of the tube.

Maybe yours was "fixed" after a previous owner snapped the original tag off?

So I'm looking at my horn and it's got me battered!! The earth through the steering column is right as when I connect a tester to it and to a live I get the correct battery voltage reading.
When I test the black/green wire at the fuse box it's right on the button when ignition is on.
Now, get under the van and test the voltage at the horn with the black/green wire and it's under 1volt!!??i am right in thinking that should be 12V and the wire which comes out of the horn to the outer column should be still reading 12v too as its the column and the earth at the wheel which breaks/makes the circuit?
So, any advice on what I'm doing wrong?
Cheers

Yes you are right.
If your only showing 1 volt at the horn then there's a bad connection or possibly a break in the wire.

Latest posts