Hot Start Problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomoljosh

Reaction score
Have fitted a hot start relay to my van but am still having problems starting when hot! any help greatly appreciated

in what way problems? the relay just boosts the power to the starter bypassing old and high resistance wiring when the starter is hot, it does not make it start any easier.what symptoms do you have?

I have found and have seen it discussed before, that if you depress the accelerator pedal to the floor then turn it over it when hot it helps the starting. You don't need to pump the pedal just let it turn over and it should catch.

This has worked for me on both single and twin carb setups.

the problems with starting when hot can be caused by a lot of things, a new engine is tighter when hot, also if the timing is too far advanced it can make for a sluggish turnover,
check all your connections and your earth. also might be the battety on its way out.
mine was difficult when hot until i fitted a new battery and electronic ignition.

My bus is running a SP 1600 totally standard engine with all the correct tinware and runs a treat.

When cold it starts immediatly on the turn of the key - a fraction of a second before it catches.

However when hot (circa 100deg) it takes several seconds (3 to 4) of the starter turning with my foot pressed firmly on the accelerator before it catches. I have a new starter motor, new alternator and new 12v batteries.

It has never failed to start it just sounds laboured when hot turning and turning.

Suppose I will just have to live with it.

re "fuel evaporation" - that makes sense, but does that mean it's running too lean? I have the same hot start problem with my 1600TP

Rob

robjarman said:
re "fuel evaporation" - that makes sense, but does that mean it's running too lean? I have the same hot start problem with my 1600TP

Rob

Not sure of the technicalities, but I had this problem with my Notch, fixed it by fitting an electric fuel pump. Probably not a real solution but it did start perfect afterwards.

This might seem straight forward but i had sinilar problems until i replaced the coil/spark plug leads and cleaned up the battery earth connector which was rusted to the van. Now i have no problems. Not sure why though but worth a try!

Latest posts