How 2 - repairing rusted frame in Dormobile pop top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doris

Reaction score
Hi all,
thought I'd document the repair of my fibre glass pop top from my 69 Dormobile.

The Martin Walter Dormobile pop top is a big old thing on a Bay.It is a fibre glass construction with a gel coat on the outer most side.It has 3 sets of tubing set within the roof for strengthening - two which run half way up the ends (from the hinged side) and a long tube that runs along the side where the hinges attach.This long tube has 'plates' attached to it that line up with the hinges.This means that the bolts that go through the hinges,pass through these plates also,so when the roof is raised/lowered,it eases the forces off the fibre glass and carrying them through the metal tubing.

anyway,some pics of the work.I must say that the fibre glassing is crude & messy work.In future I will be using the ready mixed glass & fibres,its much easier than trying to paint the liquid glass onto the fibre strands!

So,here's what we're dealing with.everytime I lifted the roof,it was the fibre glass that was taking the strain......

Dormobilehingesrusted-1.jpg

Dormobilehingesrusted1-1.jpg

Dormobilehingesrusted2-1.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

removingthepoptopsupporttubing3.jpg

removing the rusted out tubing.some sections where good, but the lot had to come out!! try and leave as much of the good existing fibre glass as possible. this will provide strength and a good guide to re fitting the new tubing.I used a stanley knife to score & sharp screw driver to take away, just enough to remove the rusted tubing....

removingthepoptopsupporttubing1.jpg

removingthepoptopsupporttubing.jpg

old tubing out,alot of it had just crumbled though,coming out as rusty dust.compare it with the new piece!!! Getting the new tubing is probably the most difficult part of this job. I used a local fabricators.10mm diameter tube is required,you may choose to use aluminium or stainless steel,I used mild steel.I was lucky in that the curved pieces at the ends where just about in tact so they could be used as a template.The metal workers copied the bends in the end tubes perfectly,I'm sure it would have taken me hours to get it right.

replacementpoptopsupporttubing4.jpg

When it came to the long tube for the hinges,I decided to go for solid bar instead of tube.you can see from the pics that I had some 50mm x 60mm plates made up and welded to the back of the rod, not in the centre of the circle (if you are looking end on).In other words, If I lay the rod on a flat surface the plate would be flush with the surface.This is to balance the forces when its bolted up to the hinge i.e. all the pressure would be spread evenly over the metal plate/hinge.its at this point I rust proofed the metal.

replacementpoptopsupporttubing.jpg

replacementpoptopsupporttubing1.jpg

next up, a dry run to make sure everything sits nicely.....

replacementpoptoptubingdryfittingcorner.jpg

replacementpoptoptubingdryfitting.jpg

Once I was happy that everything was measured and fitted,I held the rods in place with G clamps.checked again for alignment.At this point I lined up the existing holes for the hinges and drilled them out of the plates.think they were 6mm....

Dormyroof-fibreglassingthesupporttubes2.jpg

Dormyroof-fibreglassingthesupporttubes4.jpg

and started appyling the new fibre glass.....

Dormyroof-fibreglassingthesupporttubes3.jpg

Dormyroof-fibreglassingthesupporttubes.jpg

Dormyroof-fibreglassingthesupporttubes1.jpg

I found it better to do a section at a time and let that go hard (setting time depends on how much hardener you add to the liquid glass).

And its as simple as that.I fixed the whole tubes and rods into the fibre glass and for cosmetic reasons,went over the lost with a sanding disc to get rid of the drips and unevenness.

While I had the glass out,I did a few minor repairs to where the pop top had lost its rubber trim and rubbed on a support plate....

poptoprepair.jpg

Like I said, its messy and not pretty but once you're happy with the rigidity and finish, you can paint the repair.The long rod end is hidden by the bellows.I've used sound deadening paint on the inside of the pop top as it has a mottled effect that will hide the imperfections of the fibre glass. I will post pics up when it has been painted t the body shop.

job done!!
subo.jpg

Rob

Nicely done and reported on Rob :D

Many Dormy owners will thank you for this over the years I am sure ;)

gninnam said:
Nicely done and reported on Rob :D

Many Dormy owners will thank you for this over the years I am sure ;)

Including me. Although my top is in reasonably good shape at the moment, I can see a time when I'll be traveling down that road myself.