How do i turn the heat off? Its roasting!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foz

Reaction score
A simple question really, which no doubt results in a simple answer, but i swear i've had the heater control levers in every position possible, and yet still the heat flows into the cab. Can the heat be stopped at all? Being an air cooled newbie i'm completely stumped!
I only ask this question, as the complete dashboard has had a respray from the previous owner, and there are no markings as to what is hot...what is cold, etc.
And when next summer hits, if i haven't sorted it out by then i'll be passing out at the steering wheel, lol

If someone could explain how to achieve the coolest setting, i would be most grateful.

You should have 4 lever-knobs on your dash. The red ones are for heat. Down the heat is on. Up the heat is off. If you dcontro;s are working proprely , as in attached to the heaterboxes the the heater boxes my be malfunctioning and staying open even after you close the knobs. If that is the case then it is another chapter and a read of the Bently repair manual. Good luck. The up side to the old busses is that you can open the blue vent knobs at the same time the heat is on.

Couple of things to check :
1. Get under your bus & check if the heater flaps are stuck open instead of closed,
with both red levers in the "up" position
2. Make sure the control levers are connected to the cables - sometimes the
clip that holds them against the mounting bracket has broken or is missing. ( Hope it's
not the case, these clips are as rare as a rust free kombi......)
3. With the red levers "up" , go 'round the back & see if the booster fan is running. It shouldn't cut in until you move the lever
down.

Check out the link below. It explains how the heater system works with diagrams.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aspro said:
go 'round the back & see if the booster fan is running

Didn't know there were booster fans?? Are they standard?? :shock:

Araon said:
Stop your fucking bragging
:lol: :lol: :lol:

My sentiments exactly!
When I first picked my bus up (early January i.e. FREEZING) my hot air was shut off and the cold was blocked open :msn4: :oops:

Pmsl @ bragging! :lol: I take it having some form of a working heater is a luxury to brag about then? :roll:
My controls levers have all been changed from the standard, to chrome covered jobbies, so i'm not aware of which is red, or which is blue. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post....

Appreciate the replies tho fella's I'll now look into this further with the info given.

Foz said:
Pmsl @ bragging! I take it having some form of a working heater is a luxury to brag about then?
My controls levers have all been changed from the standard, to chrome covered jobbies, so i'm not aware of which is red, or which is blue. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post....

:lol: I'm half way there..!! I have right side all fixed and working but can't seam to get a left side heater cable for a '72..!! (all on back order and no sign of ever getting them in..!!) :roll:

my heating is hung on the coat rack by the door. should be able to gloat soonish though when iv got everything hooked back up.

Foz said:

If you have 4 levers the 2 to the left are the Cold air ones that open the front air panels and the 2 on the right are the Hot air ones which are link to the right and left heat exchangers accordingly. I hope this helps? :)

If you have heat all the time then something is stuck open like the heat exchanger flap? When i had no canles i just cable tied them open to get heat last winter. Will only have to cable one up this time, until i can get the right cable..!! :roll:

^^^^^

thats what id go with i bet you have no cables connecting the levers to the heat exchangers so have prob been tied open at the back end :)

shimmy under an if theres wire or cable ties on the exit side of the heat exchangers thats prob keeping them open :)

just found this, might be useful.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and gwar...
http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=2841&xSec=836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any good?

Gwar72 said:
If you have 4 levers the 2 to the left are the Cold air ones that open the front air panels and the 2 on the right are the Hot air ones which are link to the right and left heat exchangers accordingly.

I've got a LHD 71 and mine are the opposite. The two left ones are heat, the two right ones cold.

Down is open, up is closed though the same.

One thing i cant remember as its been a while since i read the manual is the additional control on the totem (if its hot or cold)

Mine works but it does take about 3 mile before i can stop wiping the inside of the screen with my sponge thing

and gwar...
http://www.machine7.com/product.php?xProd=2841&xSec=836" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any good?[/quote]

Cheers Antoine but machine7 is the company i have had it on order from March this year and they rang last month and refunded ny card as they didn't know when they would get any in?? If i knew the lenght need i could possibly cobble one out of another new one but need to know if it would be longer not shorter so i could just cut to fit.!? :?:

Nugsy said:
I've got a LHD 71 and mine are the opposite

Didn't know that..!! You learn something new everyday..!! :idea:

Araon said:
Stop your fucking bragging
:lol: :lol:

mIne are now working after years of being tied on and are roasty toast! 8)

jacks906 said:
Totem control

Mine has a central detent which sets the heat so that you get flow up and down and out the walkway rear facing vents.

Not forgetting the lever that is situated in front of the driver seat/tub if it's a microbus/deluxe. This opens heat to the rear outlets.

With the H.E's constantly open fan shroud airflow over the engine is reduced.

Latest posts