I'm not into EV Cars, but this is great! - Honda E

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has a 2nd hand BMW i3. While I like a proper engine, the economics of electric cars will (I think) persuade most people in the next few years. People will accept the need to charge up on really long journeys to get a cheeper, faster and easier to own and drive car. For big stuff, I've a friend who works for a major truck engine designer and the dirty diesel will be around for a long time he says...

I can see a need to beef up the power supply to service stations, so if anyone likes digging holes and laying cables then you also have a future

ozziedog said:
Somewhere I heard something about the power stations being more profitable to run if they could spread the usage out over the whole twenty four hour period instead of peak power till tea time then a trickle overnight as they’re running down the generating equipment. Sounds
Like a perfect addition to fuel your stable overnight.

Interesting, although it makes sense.

Bluesnailman said:
My wife has a 2nd hand BMW i3. While I like a proper engine, the economics of electric cars will (I think) persuade most people in the next few years. People will accept the need to charge up on really long journeys to get a cheeper, faster and easier to own and drive car.

For the people mile munching, EVs still need to be developed more before they would even be close to suitable, however, I think if most 'normal' people calculated the actual daily milage they do, they would be surprised, I doubt most people do over 50 miles a day, which would be fine for EVs. Then it's just a point of planning ahead* (see comment below) if you think you will do more miles on a particular day to find a fast charge port, or if you're staying over night, to take your 3-pin charger with you etc.

Bluesnailman said:
For big stuff, I've a friend who works for a major truck engine designer and the dirty diesel will be around for a long time he says...

If I was going to buy an EV (I wouldn't, but the Missus might), I would not consider the environmental aspect as top of the list as I don't believe they are that much better for the environment when you take into account the full building cycle and where the majority of the electricity comes from right now.

There is plenty of data and articles available with points both for and against EVs, but from my perspective it would be just for the reduced running cost and the new technology to play with. The running costs could be further reduced with solar panels on the roof! Free transport! :mrgreen:

I guess it would free up fuel money to run the bus :lol:

Bluesnailman said:
I can see a need to beef up the power supply to service stations, so if anyone likes digging holes and laying cables then you also have a future

https://www.zap-map.com/live/

I was really surprised how many charging points there already are! :shock: The map also shows you if the points are in use and how long they have been used for.

But yes you're right, it seems the service stations are being upgraded slowly.

Latest posts