Imported from South Africa!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2-star

Reaction score
Hi folks,

It's been 5 years now since I sold my Bay and bought a T4 but I miss it so much I am now back in the market for a low-light panel van.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience that you would be willing to share with me about importing vans and parts from South Africa. I have a good friend who lives there that is keeping his eyes peeled for parts and vans (2) to fill a 40ft container. Me being me I think it will be a cinch, what could possibly go wrong? It seems too easy, what's the catch?

Be grateful to hear about any pitfalls? Import duty prices etc....

Many thanks

(a low-light fan)

Mine was pretty rust free compared to u.k. buses but window seals were shot as well as mechanical components, can't comment on pitfalls or costs involved in importing as someone else did that.
Scot Wilson is the guy to speak to.

I think if you spoke to anyone doing this for a living, such as Scott, they would tell you you're barking mad with the current state of affairs.

Then again, if you're doing it to get yourself a solid bus and some spares and maybe make a little bit of pocket money than go for it.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

Yep, I'm purely doing it to import a RHD panel van (when it's been found) If it's a 40ft container I go for and can squeeze another in full of parts and spares etc to fund mine then that would be my preference.

I admire a lot of the vans I have seen on the forum lately but really want to build my own and not have an off the peg one for silly money like I've seen some of the bigger firms selling, I'm not knocking it, I just don't want to buy one!

Regarding running a business, time would tell. I have people I know who do various things in life. A South African friend who's parents own a garage. A friend who heads up a freight forwarding company with contacts in Jo'Burg and London. A friend who owns a farm with lots of cheap storage, indoor units etc. sounds like the basis of a business to me but it's not really where I'm headed unless it's worth the hassle. I say hassle, I love vans so it would be a nice hassle wouldn't it?

Thanks for the contact too, I will ask the question.

Cheers

Latest posts