indacaters to fast

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13window

Reaction score
just taken my 69 westy for a its firts uk mot and it failed on the indicators flashing too fast.

its a south african one and when it arrived it had a 3 pin relay. its all wired up as per the wiring diagram for a 69 all bar the fact that i have conneted the brake lights up.

now they flash at the normal speed when the hazards are on but not on the column switch.

any idea's????

sam

Or the bulbs are too low a wattage so dont give sufficient load on the flasher relay.

Do you have amber or red indicators?

Got the same thing on my US westy. I think its cos I converted to no running lights, and there's not enough 'draw' on the relay. Easy fix is to put two bulbs in a box in the indicator circuit, this will increase the draw, but obviously not a perfect fix. Havn't done this in mine, but mine passed the MOT...

what they said.... it's kinda like on a modern car if a bulb goes - they flash faster due to not enough draw on the relay, check you're running 21w bulbs, if not then do it - if so try the trick mentioned above of dropping another bulb in line and see if they slow.

Thanks for the input I had put 5w bulbs in insted of 21w ones

divit!!!

got a mot now tho :D :D :D

rickyrooo1 said:
...check you're running 21w bulbs...

Recently got Orange indicator bulbs from 3 different suppliers, but they all seem to be slightly smaller in diameter around where the terminals are, than the ones that were originally on the bus (which is a 70 from the US).
So, they don't 'lock' into the indicator housing.

Strange thing is that I tried some modern clear indicator bulbs (from a Golf/Polo bulb kit) and they all fitted perfectly.

Is there anything different about US bulbs/indicator housing?

Latest posts