Indicator switch problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huyrob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1971 lhd Westy with 8 wire indicator stalk.
My main beam and flasher is not working although the indicators are. Took the stalk apart and 2 wires are detached. The brown and brown / white striped.
I can't see where they were originally soldered so help please :)
1. Are these the wires that control main beam and so probably the problem
2. Where should they be attached?
3. I Seem to remember that the main beam flashed if stalk pulled up towards wheel and clicked to permanent main if pushed down. There are contacts like distributor points that close if stalk pulled up but it no longer wants to click if pushed away.
4 if the main beam part of the switch is broken can I take wires to a separate dash switch for main beam and possibly a flasher. If so which wires and how?
I sent off for a replacement unit which arrived and was worse than my original one! So was returned
Thanks
Dave

The main beam only works when the stalk is pulled upwards towards the steering wheel, to switch it off you pull the stalk up towards the steering wheel again.
If you've pushed the stalk down I'll be surprised if you haven't damaged the switch internals.

Thanks Sparky
I was quite gentle so don't think I've damaged it. On reading various things I think the "click" I recall may have been the relay. My relay seems to be the original and may be broken or perhaps isn't working due to the detached wires. I still need to find out where the loose brown and brown/white need to be soldered to.

Thanks Dub
I had a chat with just kampers Who agreed that the switch they supply is of poor quality but is the best repro available. They pointed out their caveat that the unit may need to be adapted to suit etc. I pointed out that that may well be the case but the unit should function straight out of the box id stalk should hold in position when direction is chosen and not have to be held in place. Internal email at JK confirmed this was the "usual problem "🤔 Fair enough full refund speedily given

My repo came from C&C. When I fitted it the horn sounded when indicating left or right and it only clicked properly into position on left turn. Explained situation to C&C and also got full refund, they confirmed problems with recent batches and they were going to take them off sale. Got one from Chad on this forum so might be worth messaging him.

The brown/white wire comes from the Hi beam relay (12v)and when you lift up the stalk ,contacts ground out the relay so it latches over to change over hi beam ,when you do it again it latches back to the low beam .This only happens when the head lights are switched on , when you lift up the stalk with on lights on the relay uses the relay coil voltage to momently flash the hi beam .The horn on these buses are supplied in an unusual way through the steering tube which is 12 volts and insulated from the bus chassis earth through rubber and plastic bushes . When the horn button is pressed you earth this out via the steering shaft/steering box thus making the horn circuit and sounding the horn . Hope this makes sense , it took a while to work out.brittas

Just to clarify here for the dimmer of the dim wits (me) :roll:
I was thinking that the horn was permanently live fed and then earthed up through the column to the horn switch and when pressed it completed the circuit :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Or,, is that what you just said :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

The wires are soldered to the 2 terminals that touch when switch is lifted, common fault . have repaired a few.

Latest posts