instrument cover speaker grill

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L 282

Reaction score
Does anyone actually have a speaker under those holes in the instrument panel cover plate?
If you do, what size is it and how is it fixed. I presume its one of those oblong/oval shaped numbers, but have never seen one.
Grateful for any info.

Stewart.

Jason said:
Took mine out during the resto. A very crappy 3" paper cone.

ta Jason

Was it round or oval, how was it fixed in?
Perhaps someone now makes a reasonable speaker that size.

Round.

Was screwed in. To what, I can't remember....sorry.

Probably put in by the dealer rather than the factory.

Could be a good place to put a couple of tweeters if you're going for separates.

original speaker is bolted in through the holes in the top grill-still got mine fitted, although never tried it to see if working still.
Been thinking about using original position for new speaker as dont want speakers in me new door cards and not many other places to fit in the cab.
If either of you (Stewarts) find a modern speaker that'll fit in place can you let me know make etc....or if you come up with another option
If not might just have to make a bracket to support from the underside.

Nezza said:
original speaker is bolted in through the holes in the top grill-still got mine fitted, although never tried it to see if working still.
Been thinking about using original position for new speaker as dont want speakers in me new door cards and not many other places to fit in the cab.
If either of you (Stewarts) find a modern speaker that'll fit in place can you let me know make etc....or if you come up with another option
If not might just have to make a bracket to support from the underside.

Hmm interesting, i've just had a quick measure and it is possible modern 4" speakers may fit fixed in that way. Maybe even fit a coaxial speaker with a bit of packing round the bolts to hold it away from the grill. Are you sure its the original speaker, do you have the original radio still in too, 3 possibilities- factory, vw dealer, DIY. There is another hole on the flatter area just in front of the grill (in my van anyway) perhaps this was to fix a bracket to :? ?

noddy said:
Mines held in with a wire bail arm, no other fixings.

Blimey, whats one of they? Isnt that something to do with fishing reels?

Like the things that hold your rocker covers on only smaller, think they are sold as bail clips?

noddy said:
Mines held in with a wire bail arm, no other fixings.

noddy said:
Like the things that hold your rocker covers on only smaller, think they are sold as bail clips?

Are there lugs on the underside of the cover plate that the bail clips fit into?
If so, i'm guessing maybe that is the factory method.

didnt have original radio in when I got the van, the speakers never been wired in as previouse owner had fitted modern speakers in the door cards/rear so never been used.
Looks like been there for ever, will have a check tonight and see if got 'bail' arm thingy fitted as well or see if been fitted previously.
My way of fixing might not be factory as its a cali import which had a full camper interior conversation so they might have done it :?

yep two loops in the surrounding pressing that the bail wire fits into, would post picture but having no luck getting pics onto the forum.

noddy said:
yep two loops in the surrounding pressing that the bail wire fits into, would post picture but having no luck getting pics onto the forum.

Thanks noddy

Will have a look when i have a chance to see if they are there on my van, maybe volksheaven etc might have a bail clip.

I've just mounted a 6x4 speaker under my dash, held in by four small screw head bolts through the holes............

3527243093_88e2dfccc9.jpg

From underneath it looks like this........

3527242687_af5abcb11f.jpg

It's wired up to this - for some right old school tunes :D

3263238459_325a73133a.jpg

3263238459_325a73133a.jpg
[/quote]

That radio is basic! Like the style.
I think it says "volkswagen" above the buttons? 8)

Heres mine
P1000850.jpg

Latest posts