Insurance, be aware of clauses

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilswheels

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Ex Westy,
I've just insured my bus, and came across a point that i thought you should all be aware of.

I specified that my bus is kept on a drive, which it is, thinking it would keep the premium lower. I got a great price from Classicline (£40 cheaper than Cherished), but when i went through the 'Key Facts' it stated that if the vehicle was parked on the street within 0.6 miles of the insured address, the vehicle was not covered'. This means that if I take the bus of the drive, then park it in the street to go inside and make a coffee, or wash the bus, or get my phone, the Bus isn't insured.
Obviously its to stop people leaving there car on the street when its insured for of street storage, however, this doesn't work in the real world.
But get this, I then went for cover to be left on the street all day and night, and the price stayed the same!
So, check your details people, its unlikely that while its parked outside your house for 10 minutes or half an hour that its nicked or hit, but it happens.
Cherished had the same clause by the way.
Just so you know, my bus insured at agreed 15k, 3000k miles a year, parked on the street, lowered and alloys, agreed value, european and uk breakdown cover, legal cover , social, domestic, pleasure and commuting was £134.98. Cherished was £189.59

neilswheels said:
I've just insured my bus, and came across a point that i thought you should all be aware of.

I specified that my bus is kept on a drive, which it is, thinking it would keep the premium lower. I got a great price from Classicline (£40 cheaper than Cherished), but when i went through the 'Key Facts' it stated that if the vehicle was parked on the street within 0.6 miles of the insured address, the vehicle was not covered'. This means that if I take the bus of the drive, then park it in the street to go inside and make a coffee, or wash the bus, or get my phone, the Bus isn't insured.
Obviously its to stop people leaving there car on the street when its insured for of street storage, however, this doesn't work in the real world.
But get this, I then went for cover to be left on the street all day and night, and the price stayed the same!
So, check your details people, its unlikely that while its parked outside your house for 10 minutes or half an hour that its nicked or hit, but it happens.
Cherished had the same clause by the way.
Just so you know, my bus insured at agreed 15k, 3000k miles a year, parked on the street, lowered and alloys, agreed value, european and uk breakdown cover, legal cover , social, domestic, pleasure and commuting was £134.98. Cherished was £189.59

Worth a check. My policy with RH has to have the van garaged but I believe it is OK on the street between 0600-2200 (must double check that) so if I get home late, unload the van and it gets nicked I'm screwed. Similar to loading up for an early start I guess.

67westy said:
Worth a check. My policy with RH has to have the van garaged but I believe it is OK on the street between 0600-2200 (must double check that) so if I get home late, unload the van and it gets nicked I'm screwed. Similar to loading up for an early start I guess.
+1 Mine is the same from RH, allowed on street between 06:00-22:00

Latest posts