Insurance renewal warning

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo

Reaction score
Maybe you are aware, but I wasn't and just got caught out, so a warning.

I had my camper insured with Adrian Flux, with the renewal due next week. Having recently sold the van, I just ignored any renewal emails which arrived, as obviouslly I had no intention of renewing. However, I just had an email saying that they had automatically renewed and taken £200+ from my account. After a quick rather angry phone call (on my part), it now seems that this is the default for them (and possibly other insurance companies), i.e. they will automatically renew unless you explicitly instruct them not to. Fortunately I will get a full refund but that may not always be the case, and for some, losing that amount of money even temporarily unexpectly may cause problems as it won't be reimbursed until next week now.

I have another VW which is also currently insured with them, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole after this. (That, and their narrow mindedness on agreed value.) Perhaps I am being unfair, and auto renewal is the norm now rather than the exception, but in the 15 yrs I have been insuring VWs through various companies, this is the first time it has occurred.

Don't experience the same shock I did.

Pretty sure auto renewal is fairly common now, certainly is on modern vehicles / insurance companies. On the plus side if you don't receive the letters in the post etc you will still be insured and not pulled over by the police.

nearly had the same thing with flux only thing stopped them taking the money was that i had a new debit card so the numbers were different other wise money gone. i now make apoint of getting anew card each year after paying insurance

I think that this is standard practice with most vehicle insurance now!!had it on a couple of different car policies the last couple of years.

automatic insurance renewal is common and stupid. I can't understand how it is legal to pressume you've brought something unless you say you don't want it?

Yes automatic renewal is common but they still need to advise you they are taking the money. You should also be able to opt out of auto renewal as I did when i was with Adrian Flux. Note past tense...ive found their quotes of late uncompetitive, I also believe they are part of the HIC insurance group.

Latest posts