Insurance ........ To and from regular place of work.....?!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

issy

Reaction score
So seems I have been driving my van to work and back for several years under normal insurance and really had to push hard with companies over the years not to treat it as a historical / classic vehicle or they wouldn't let me use it to and from workplace.

Now I have also been taking bus to other places to do with work, such as training courses. it seems one guy in my insurance company said 'regular place of work' can mean weherever work sends you basically... Another says 'regular' or 'normal' place of work means only main site I work.. Ie school. Then again another argued I am employed by local authority so normal place of work can be any one of their sites..... Hmmm..... Then another says no I cannot go say to Llandudno for a training course as it is not my normal place and neither is it my county workplace sites either.... i cannot now go visit kids on work experience or go to training courses even if closer to home than work! This all come to head as local authority getting paranoid and asked to see all insurance, mot documents etc...... In case they get sued or something.

Soooooo.. does anybody have fully comp insurance to work and insurance to and from anywhere to do with work and no limited mileage. it is my main.. Only.. Vehicle.... And 40 yrs old.

I was only wondering the other day about getting covered for very occasional use to/from work (like 3 maybe 4 times a year). I'm guessing you haven't been able to get that on classic insurance?

From my understanding commuting covers you to/from a fixed place of work. If you want to use it for work which is not this fixed place you need business cover no matter whether that is closer or further away. So for your use it sounds like you need a policy with business use, which is not normally much more expensive if any.

I don't think that any agreed value/limited mileage classic insurance policy will cover you for commuting any more, it's Social, Domestic & Pleasure usage only.
I await to be pleasantly corrected.

sparkywig said:
I don't think that any agreed value/limited mileage classic insurance policy will cover you for commuting any more, it's Social, Domestic & Pleasure usage only.
I await to be pleasantly corrected.

Shame, it would be very useful on occasion. The other option is just to chance it on the few occasions I guess. Chances are it'll all be fine but you never know... I'm sure a lot of people must do this every now and then. I guess the difficulty for the insurance company comes in proving you were commuting, you can always argue that it was a day off and you were stopping in for a non work related matter. I guess it only becomes an issue if something actually happens at your place of work as otherwise you could of been driving near work for any number of reasons (sorry for hijacking your thread issy :))

I got 15,000 miles and commuting cover from Carole Nash Insurance if it helps anyone wanting insurance for commuting.

(Extra 60 quid 'cos it is lowered though)

I'm with Carole Nash too .....camper and classic mini van. Commuting included (although I might double check). I drive them both to work once a week to give them a bit of exercise.
Have a Lambretta insured with them too, ridden it to work before.

My experience is that if you want to go somewhere that isn't your normal place of work it's classed as business mileage - I actually thought it was far more than £60 but I guess it depends on what you're driving and whether you're prepared to cap the mileage.

I suppose it's all based on risk and if you're driving somewhere unfamiliar, relatively, in busy traffic with pressure of needing to be somewhere by a certain time, there's a greater risk of an accident than chilling on a Sunday.

Of course, proving that you were on your way to a business meeting rather than just taking a different route to work or taking the van for a run could be difficult. Not that I'm suggesting anything ;)

I am insured with Cherrished and they have added to and from place of work. I use it every now and again if my main can is at the garage. I work for an advisory service so this entails the odd trip to schools or LA meetings in 5 LA's in south east Wales.

I have limited to 5k and have agreed value. I think you would need to Clarify what the individual insurance company's definition was.

Hi. Thanks

One person at insurance company who dealt with claims / complaints said fine and interpreted place to work as place to work wherever that was but then his compatriots i. Aother department said regular place of work is my school and nowhere else.

I think I will need to change insurance companies...... First stop of call your insurance company!!

I drive my Mrs to her work and back everyday in mine, I class this as domestic (i.e she'll have a domestic if she has to get on public transport) never had the chance to drive to work myself as office in in my back garden!

Nothing on my insurance for commuting -
My philosophy is

1-She can't drive
2-She's only a passenger

Spence

I'm with Cherished and I can drive to work in mine.

It didn't come as standard cover but if I'm going to a show I want the option to go straight from work and so I needed to be able to drive there in the first place. I explained this and got the cover without additional cost.

I don't do it regularly, but it is good to be able to when I need to.

They are always closed when I get home and only time I could have to phone is lunchtime but, and I know people won't believe this, I have no time at lunchtime to even go for a piss.... Reception only in some parts of school unless I go outside for kids to listen to personal details eg address! I have Detentions, kids with problems, homework questions, kids wanting to do work (!!) and they not allowed to be unsupervised so muggins seriously never gets time to do anything. i should make time. i should chuck kids out but I can't and they all want to come into IT room atnlunchtime to do stuff on Moodle, keep dry, hide from teacher, meet mates.

Anyhow.. Have emailed them direct now asking them to email me. Will hope they respond.

Depending on how it's worded you may need to refer to the section giving definitions.

It should somewhere clearly state what is covered, i.e it may say including commuting to one permanent place of work which is self explanatory. Or it may say to a regular place of work, if this is the case i would expect them to define "regular".

Failing this if it's not clear then (depending on the broker / advisor) it's unlikely they will give a straight answer and they will leave it up to a court of law to translate. This is typical in insurance hence the constant citing of case law, once a case is heard it sets a president going forward.

Of you want me to have a closer look pm me happy to help

thank you Turkish.. I may well take you up on that offer if I can find my t&cs, also couple of comments from my existing company which contradicted themselves. problem is I go through a broker and they usually fob me off to go through them with any enquiries and then that conversation never gets to the end game so to speak and I get fed up... As long as I can get to work I guess... And work don't pay for business use extra thing but expect us to.. Seemingly modern cars do it free or cheap but they think I am just being stubborn.. Sceptics!!

Thank you kipshaler.. Ps I am being bullied for my bad spelling on forum at thelatebay ;). tsch

Nope they won't even insure me at all not to mention the business thing I was on about. Cherished excpect me to own another vehicle therefore :

Ultimately for us to quote you both need to own cars individually making this camper a third car/four wheeled mode of transport between you.

Thus alleviating the possibility that the camper would be used as a daily mode of transport, a market, we do not cover.

Latest posts