Introducing Mr Brightside's Midlands Makeover............

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Brightside

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been lurking here for a while, but finally took delivery of our newest family member today,

Please welcome Mr Brightside:
MrBrightside-1.jpg

He is a '71 Sunroof deluxe 1600SP, fresh in from California, suffering from the usual hot, dry climate issues, dried out seals, faded paintwork, but more importantly no major attacks from the Ferrous Beetle !

MrBrightside-2.jpg

He has had a few knocks along the way

MrBrightside-3.jpg

MrBrightside-4.jpg

The interior is best described as "work in progress"

MrBrightside-5.jpg
]

MrBrightside-6.jpg

MrBrightside-7.jpg

The plans are to restore this to a level, that is useable for our family (6 & 9 year old plus us two oldies) that tries to keep the spirit of the era, but is not a slave to concours. kind of a '71 with creature comforts :D

We also plan to use local midlands companies where possible (bus was sourced from Midland Early Bay), it will be going to Stuart & Drew at Midland Paintwerks very soon for a hit of White over Chianti Red very soon.

I will keep you all posted on the progress................ ;)

Cheers

G

Looks good mate don't paint it that roof is wicked faded paint all the way

No dont do it!!
I would of def gone to look at this bus, just what im after when mine sells!!
You should sell it to me an buy an original red paint bus if thats the colour ya after!!
Love it!!! :D

Looks like it is full of promise and looking forward to your updates ;)

So, spent a little time today cleaning things up a bit on the inside:

MrBrightside-17.jpg

MrBrightside-16.jpg

MrBrightside-15.jpg

Lots of shiny new parts underneath !

MrBrightside-14.jpg

MrBrightside-13.jpg

However it decided not to start, looking underneath there seems to be an extra solenoid in addition to the one that sits piggy back on the starter for some reason, its just hanging there !

Answers on a postcard please!

MrBrightside-10.jpg

More updates to come.....

It looks like someone has fitted a hot start relay, a lot of US buses have these as a quick fix to starting problems.

Nice bus though, keep the paint 8)

OK,

So today I removed the hot start relay/extra solenoid, sorted out the wiring jumble, fitted a new Bosch starter (Machine 7 are out of stock of the £65 offer ones) & hey presto, all starts up easily.

Feeling smugly satisfied with myself this evening (I know it was not a big job, but its the first time I have picked up spanners on a car for 15+ years)

PS, Thanks for the comments on colour, but it is going to get painted.................. :evil:

Nice bus fella......

I thin kyou should paint it too......I've had mine a few years and have enjoyed patina and all that - but it's gone for paint now and I can't wait to see it all shiny....... :p :p

If you want another opinion though (and you probably don't) I'd stick with the yellow....it's a nice colour.

Gadget Boy said:
Graham its good to see this bus with a loving owner ;) and Before anyone else says '' Its Your bus and your rules '' paint it what ever you want :mrgreen: Im sorry we didnt catch up at vanfest

Gadget

Hey Gadget,

I saw your bus looking stunning, quite a few people around it (think you were in the middle of the scrum), was going to come back when it was not so busy, but just ran out of time.

Catch up later mate :beerchug:

G

So we attended our first Vanfest this weekend, there were some stunning buses there !

We were on a mission however to seek out bargains for Mr Brightside, on the list were full exterior rubber seal kit, wheels (if at the right price) & anything else which took our fancy, but also to seek inspiration & guidance.

What a weekend it was (well Friday & Sunday), I am sure we missed some areas, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Heres a taste of what we came back with:

VanfestShopping-1.jpg

The wheels were an early Christmas and Birthday present from my better half ! :D

Looks like Mr Brightside is coming along. Can't wait to see it with all those bits on.

OK so I have a few update images as the bus stands today, its coming along nicely :D

Stuart & Drew are working their magic here !

Front Panel back to bare metal

MPWOct15th-2.jpg

Under windscreen looking great

MPWOct15th-3.jpg

MPWOct15th-4.jpg

Front Step solid !

MPWOct15th-5.jpg

Arch pretty good

MPWOct15th-6.jpg

Engine bay cleaned up well

MPWOct15th-10.jpg

Few images of the piece the sliding track cover locates to, totally solid

MPWOct15th-14.jpg

MPWOct15th-15.jpg

MPWOct15th-16.jpg

MPWOct15th-17.jpg

One for Stuart :lol:

MPWOct15th-18.jpg

Sills looking great
MPWOct15th-19.jpg

Jacking Point cleaning up well

MPWOct15th-20.jpg

MPWOct15th-21.jpg

Side Window prepared

MPWOct15th-22.jpg

Roof Started

MPWOct15th-28.jpg

More Roof

MPWOct15th-29.jpg

Now for some Gutter shots......

MPWOct15th-30.jpg

MPWOct15th-31.jpg

MPWOct15th-35.jpg

MPWOct15th-36.jpg

I cannot wait for this to be painted now, so looking forward to next year when we can get out & use this :D

I will keep the updates coming :D

OK, So the engine is now out & the engine bay has started to receive the same treatment, all is better than I had hope for under here, both rear corners need a little attention due to previous damage repairs, but generally a really sound & solid bus, you cannot imagine how relieved I am :D

EngineBay22ndOct-1.jpg

EngineBay22ndOct-2.jpg

EngineBay22ndOct-3.jpg

EngineBay22ndOct-4.jpg

EngineBay22ndOct-5.jpg

Latest posts