Ipod in your bus????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammedresto

Reaction score
anyone running an ipod as part of their system?

where have you put you ipod, was thinking of putting my touch in the ashtray if it will fit!!

just got a jack lead going into my glove box...if they can't see it then they won't attempt to steal it....

MMMC said:
just got a jack lead going into my glove box...if they can't see it then they won't attempt to steal it....

yep thats what i did too
I want to hide a 8" sub but I need to find a hiding spot

clint@cultwagen said:
MMMC said:

yep thats what i did too
I want to hide a 8" sub but I need to find a hiding spot

Wont fit in the Ashtray... :mrgreen:

i've got my nano mounted in the ashtray using a standard dock with a 3.5mm jack lead to the amp in the glove box but it does cause some problems. you need to drill out the back of the ashtray and the ashtray mount for the wires but be careful because there is a spring loaded clip in the back which moves down the back of the ashtray when you push it in. also you need to mount the ipod dock on something and cut out the stub out bit in the ashtray so you can access the click wheel on the ipod easily. i'll post some pictures if your interested.

the-irv said:
i've got my nano mounted in the ashtray using a standard dock with a 3.5mm jack lead to the amp in the glove box but it does cause some problems. you need to drill out the back of the ashtray and the ashtray mount for the wires but be careful because there is a spring loaded clip in the back which moves down the back of the ashtray when you push it in. also you need to mount the ipod dock on something and cut out the stub out bit in the ashtray so you can access the click wheel on the ipod easily. i'll post some pictures if your interested.

Pics please :mrgreen:

ive got a ipod touch, so the wheels not a problem

ive got a sony headunit, and just ordered an ipod adaptor

will i need a docking unit too?????

i'll get some pics taken tomorrow afternoon and post them up,what i've got is a belkin car charger for the ipod this has got a plug which goes directly into the ipod or dock (i used a dock so the ipod would sit upright out of the ashtray )then the jack lead plugs into dock and straight to amp,sorted :D . nicked the idea of a mate with a splitscreen,take a look at ssvc forum type in 'ipod ashtray', ashtrays are different ideas the same.
is the itouch wider than the ashtray?

Wont the Ipod work off the head unit? Mine works off my Alpine head unit so it just hides in the glovebox. Easy.

I know a few splitty owners who have done it with their ashtrays but they are in a different place.

Jon

faux said:
Wont the Ipod work off the head unit? Mine works off my Alpine head unit so it just hides in the glovebox. Easy.

I know a few splitty owners who have done it with their ashtrays but they are in a different place.

Jon

it will work off the headunit, but i fancy putting a dock in the ashtray, so i can watch mp4s when im parked up :wink:

i run an alpine screen which you can link to your ipod with an adapter. it charges it and brings up all your listings on you screen. lob the ipod in the glovebox. and i dont rear end other cars when fiddling with the ipod wheel

andewilson said:
i run an alpine screen which you can link to your ipod with an adapter. it charges it and brings up all your listings on you screen. lob the ipod in the glovebox. and i dont rear end other cars when fiddling with the ipod wheel

any pics :mrgreen:

no pics of it in the van (it is all in boxes in the loft waiting for fitting). i run the same setups in my sharan and in my golf mk3. alpine cva1004r with kca420i cheap as chips on ebay then you can run ipods dvds playstations etc

Hi!

I have (shortly) a Harman Kardon set up in my bus - a small screen, which gives you all the artist and track info, and a illuminated multi position jog wheel to select stuff. The ipod plugs into all of this via a control box, and you hide this along with the ipod which gets charged as well, think mines gonna go in or behind the glovebox - not much room with the cd/mp3 head unit in the glovebox......still need to get this lot fitted, will post pics once i do!

Alistair

right here we go......
ipod in position...
PICT0866.jpg

side view...
PICT0867.jpg

wires running through back...
PICT0872.jpg

dock...
PICT0869.jpg

crap shot of back
PICT0871.jpg

slammedresto said:
faux said:

Jon

it will work off the headunit, but i fancy putting a dock in the ashtray, so i can watch mp4s when im parked up :wink:

I thought you would have had a 17" plasma set up by now with surround sound :mrgreen:

Seriously I would be setting up a screen in the back for that, if your boy is like mine DVD's will come in useful. It is on my list of jobs to do but and engine is at the top.

Old Ipod video's fit perfectly into the ash tray..

I got a JVC adaptor so it runs through my head unit in a similar way to if i had a CD changer =)

just a shame apple don't release the proper firmware so i can use my iphone with it =(

I understand the fittings of the dock and wiring etc but i don't know where or what i need to buy.

I want to fit the dock in my ashtray so it's hidden when shut, and out comes the ipod with me when i leave the van.

Latest posts