I've done a very bad thing...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbluebullybus

Reaction score
I recently did what everyone tells you not to do and bought my first ever bus from someone on Ebay! But, looking at the photos I knew she was the one straight away and bought her then and there for £500. Call it a feeling in my waters...

Problem is I know very little about her apart from her chassis number and gobbledygook on what I'm hoping is her VIN plate. She was a Danbury conversion and she's definitely an early bay - I use the word 'was' because she came with no interior (not even cab seats) and what little was left has since been stripped out by me.

I'm going to need a lot of help along the way to restore her to her full beauty so here's my first question.

Can anyone decipher this? - I'm assuming this is her VIN plate info...

12 231 803 E

050652 A41 191 213 543

23 4 7797 EN 2240 11

Chassis no: 2212231803

She's still niagara blue and pastel white and is currently sitting on our drive waiting in anticipation for the adventure that lies ahead...

Cheers, Debby :p

We did the same - although we paid £1000 for our '72! There's plenty of help here on the forum, and everyone loves pics so keep the posts coming!
Welcome to the forum too - the adventure begins...

;)

12 231 803 = 1971 chassis number

E = Bus built at the the second factory in Emden

793 = Production number indicating a special note in the German license papers, gas heater fitted

050652 = Niagra Blue /Pastel White L53D/L90D with Alabaster |Grey leatherette interior

A41 = group code 020, 061, 187
020 = speedometer and odometer in miles
061 = Type labeling of seat mounting and identification for England and Ireland
187 = Headlamps for countries with left hand traffic

191 = With outer and centre underfloor plates

213 = Without rubber floor mat in passenger compartment

543 = With out seats in passenger compartment

23 4 = Production date Thursday June 10th 1971

7797 = Production planning number

EN = Destination code UK Ramsgate

2240 = Microbus RHD with sliding door left 8 seater seat arrangment 2-3-3

11 = 1600cc 4spd

:wink:

Cheers muchly Speedman!

Without seats in passenger compartment? Try without sets period! And the rest!!!

She's reet lovely all the same! - Keep checking Campervan in Crisis thread in The Gallery to check our progress. We're campervan virgins but have restored Beetles before.

Eve's my particular baby though, so feel free to shove your oar in whenever and I'll gladly take on board any advice. (Can't say I'll allways follow it though!!!) Cheers, Debby :)

Phew - for a minute there, reading your heading, I thought you were about to say you'd cut a whopping big hole in a tin-top's roof :)

Welcome onboard!

Latest posts