jack question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burt

Reaction score
May have already been asked so apologies if it has
I dont have a jack but all the bottle jacks im looking at only go up to around the 300 mm height
So my question is what is every one using thanks

They do i believe a after market scissor jack as long as your jacking points are good, saves carrying round a 3 ton trolly jack - I wouldnt use a bottle jack particularly on uneven ground.

subheatadey said:
They do i believe a after market scissor jack as long as your jacking points are good, saves carrying round a 3 ton trolly jack - I wouldnt use a bottle jack particularly on uneven ground.
Thanks guys my jacking points are not the best to be honest so would need to jack from somewhere else and i dont fancy carrying a trolly but i do see the point about a bottle jack being unsafe so still stuck really

A trolley jack it is then, i bought a 3 ton jack which is a beast and I hate to carry it in the bus, but you could get away with a smaller 2 ton jack I got mine from here really good company next day delivery http://www.sgs-engineering.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; still weighs 14 kilos though - I hate carrying extra weight that's why iv'e no friends :(

I tried the factory jack once and it was terrifying. Then carried a small trolley jack but took up too much room. Then I found a Land Rover bottle jack. Huge lift, heavy and robust with a decent base for stability and a curved top part to sit nicely under an axle tube.

It don`t matter what you use, and personally I`d stay away from the original jacks because these busses are forty plus years old. Whatever you use, `DON'T` get under the bus without axle stands minimum. I had one come off the trolley jack last year just as I was shoving an axle stand under there and it scared the living shit out of me, because I think I`m just so so so so careful and I still don`t know what happened but I reckon the trolley sunk a little in the back lane causing it to tilt. Minimal damage to the bus luckily :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Maximum damage to my pants though :roll: :shock: :lol: :shock: :roll:

My bus is lowered but I still wouldn't use the original jack for fear of it tipping off at height. I carry a "small" trolley jack, brick wheel block, 1 foot square of plywood and jackstand all in a wooden tool box ... but then again I have the room with an empty panel van.

I have an original jack and don't see a problem as you are carefull how you use it. Having said that, this thread has made me think I need to take the necessary tools now to remove my side step I've just fitted should need to change a wheel! Thanks! :roll:

I have a small trolley jack stowed under my rock n roll bed :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-633935-Hydraulic-Trolley-Jack2-Tonne-/171423839368?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27e9a83488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Like this one :mrgreen:

I use the OG jack, been fine, trolley jack is of no use on a stock height bus

[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com

Think i might go for the bottle jack as i only want in case of a puncture and not to work under the van
As mine is still stock height and im so slim :msn4: i dont need to jack it up to work under it :lol: :lol:

I carry a bottle jack,a block of wood & a folding axle stand (just for safety as changing a wheel when trucks fly past wobbling the van is a bit scary!)
They can all be packed in the van easily :)

Latest posts