jack up back of van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharky71

Reaction score
where is the best place to jack up back of van?been using the bus jacking points but there has got to be a safe place to use a trolley jack?
looking to take both wheels off and put on axle stands.
also best place for jack to remove the engine?guessing around the sump using abit of ply around sump plate to spread weight??is that a big no no or is there a better and safer way? :roll:

sharky :bliss:

... I use the gearbox mount at the centre of the rear torsion tube too ..

.. just make sure a decent size trolley jack and put axle stands under from sides!

;)

sparkywig said:
Place the jack where the main chassis legs meet the outriggers.
To support the engine use two pieces of timber, one either side of the sump plate.

youv'e lost me with the two pieces of timber either side of sump.
how when using trolley jack cos the cup will be central?
sorry if i am abit tick :roll:

sharky71 said:
sparkywig said:
Place the jack where the main chassis legs meet the outriggers.
To support the engine use two pieces of timber, one either side of the sump plate.

youv'e lost me with the two pieces of timber either side of sump.
how when using trolley jack cos the cup will be central?
sorry if i am abit tick :roll:

Hi, I got 2 bits 18mm ply about 10" square, cut hole size to suit round jack head through 1 piece, screwed both bits together and used that. Worked a treat to take out and will find out at weekend if works on way back in!!! :lol: :lol:

looking at the jk website of him removing the engine he uses a trolley jack straight on the sump cover :? is this wise?is there a better way?will it not damage sump??

sharky :roll:

No mate its not the sump, its in front of the gear box where the rear suspension meet in the middle. :)

Here's a pic.

006.jpg

There's other places to use a jacking point as well, see this recent thread.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40362" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

what i meant to say is ........
i clicked the link for engine removal and he just stuck the trolley jack on the sump to jack up engine and remove :roll: :?
seems about dodge to me?

I wouldn't lift it by the engine look for somewhere solid a block of wood on the jacking points is a safe bet the put the axel stands under the torsion beam that's what I do a decent jack is a must I killed two before I bought a decent one life's so much easier with a decent jack

Or is Sharky getting the wrong end of the stick and the engine itself is dropped using the sump plate, whilst the bus would be lifted and supported by the methods mentioned ie the centre of the torsion tubes and axel stands, personally I still prefer to protect the plate especially as the pick up tube is on the oter side of it.....

sparkywig said:
You're all getting the wrong end of the stick, what sharky means is after the bus is jacked up and on stands the engine is removed by jacking under the sump plate....

yes, i want to remove engine,jk just places a trolley jack on the sump plate,is that wise?
got to pull engine 2morrow to replace the release bearing with a new german one so my question was how do you guys lift/drop engine?

i find i got to lift slightly to get moooostache bar away so can i place trolley jack on sump plate as in jk video?

:party0007:

Just unbolt the mooooostash bar but if you can use a square bit of ply with a block of wood each side the sump plate

well....pulled engine today removed released bearing which seemed ok :roll: greased inside gland nut replaced new release bearing and put engine back with all bits,bumper towbar etc etc and fired engine up all runs ok .
shall go out in it 2morrow and check the whining,fingers crossed it's done.
shall let you guys know outcome.
thanks for all the advice,nice to know there is somewhere i can go for advice.
thanks guys n gals. :mrgreen:

sharky :sick0019: :bliss:

Latest posts