JK Devon PoP Top Roof Cap

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
Hi folks wondering if you could help us out. Would really like a fully restored roof but finances may dictate otherwise, I hence ask you feed back on the alternatives as water is now pissing in (with the roof shut) Mainly through leaky bellows and the roof vent I think.

Is this conversion any good ie does it stop the leaks

Can I see some close ups of a JK roof cap on a van?

How much do we increase the van height if we go with this option?

Can you change the bellows after the cap has been installed?

Can any one think of stop gap measure just for this summer (or so!) ?

Many many thanks

Nick & Zile

Hi Nick,

im not a fan of this roof as its alot heavier and you'll need uprated springs in the lifting arms, its bulkier and does add alot size wise to the roof. personally i think they are pretty ugly as well. If your willing there is an harder but cheaper way. you can buy repair kits for the bellows at any chandlers or windsurf shop or you can buy the cheaper bellow (non concertina) from http://www.campershop.co.uk at £155.

From experience the rivets tend to get loose and most of the rain comes in from here. What i did was de-rivet the top lifting part, fit all new rubbers and fixed the bellows with a repair kit. Re-rivet the top and put a vinyl one piece sheet over the whole area to make it water tight and it should solve most of your leaks.

Hi Nick,
I'd echo what Johnny says really, I had a JK cap on my bus when we bought it and, while it kept the water out, it made the roof too heavy to stay popped. It also made one hell of a mess of the roof underneath when removed as well so I wouldn't recommend it as a stop gap.
Good luck with it
cheers

Hello Nick and Zile.....

seen a few poor comments on these caps in the past mainly on account of the weight and the need to up the springs :roll:

The vents are cheap enough so shouldnt pose any real problems may even be a simple matter of a replacement seal....

Re the belows how about

http://www.campershop.co.uk/devon-bw68.htm

£125 for a basic flat sided white without windows

also selling new seals

whats the condition of the fibreglass like maybe as well to refurb that whilst your at it and patch any ropey areas and a good gel coat.....

Thanks for all your feed back folks, away on holiday at mo (not in van), have to do some serious thinking, ideally as I said I would preferer a restored roof but the lack of a garage is a serious issue as I guess we are looking at hours of graft to drill out replace reseal and reskin the roof with vinyl? Getting someone to do it is not really an option due to cost.
any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
N&Z

Its not that hard or time consuming and leaves you with an OG poptop less weight and easier to function roof. Drilling out the rivets took about 20 mins, putting them back in took 30 mins and the vinyl sheet goes on in 20 mins with a hard roller.

the roofcap kit is £380 with skylight? takes a few hours to fit too.

A full set of seals, silicone sealant (for the inside), rivet gun, rivets and vinyl will cost you less than a hundred quid.

Another option is to cut a large thin sheet of aluminium to replace the centre section. Make it an inch wider around all edges and rivet it to the outer lifting lip. It gets rids of the leaky middle seal and can be sealed from the inside too. Its light and doesnt take away from the looks. I've seen this done as well and it works very well. you can also keep it solid no need for rivet and use car body adhesive to fix the 'bows' to it.

What you want to do is arrange a weekender meet and get the guys over with the promise of beer and burgers, get the roof off and throw a tarp over just in case, before too much alcohol is consumed get the seals etc... changed and the new vinyl on.... :wink:

Away in Latvia at the mo just got back online on a mates laptop, guess this is what it means when they say online community, all your inputs are very much appreciated!

Well Araon I think we may have an ideal location for a weekender meet, if that was a possible offer of assistance then it would be very much appreciated. Anyone else up for burgers, beer an mucky finger nails?

Many thanks

Nick & Zile (our earlybay Latvian connection - only seen a couple of type 25 s out here, though we did see a couple of bitchin early 60Å¡ bugs and and a ghia cruisin' down the motorway when were in Sweden before we got here)!
8)

I dont mind getting me mitts dirty and washing the dust from my mouth with a couple of jars..... where/when you thinking?

and what option you going for?

The camper shop options look quite good and you get to keep the og top all sealed and watertight should look the dogs....
Is yours currently the bellow option or the flatsided?

Hi Araon that is really good of you;

The bus is booked in a ""spa"" at the mo for replacement footwells and some other bits and bobs and is due back late June So I guess some time after that dependant on peoples availability.

Where? subject to confirmation would be at a country house near to Stamford Hall that we have some connections with.

We would definitely prefer to go the OG roof bellows route, but are conflicted to go for the original clear ""window"" type or go for white. any thoughts anyone?

PS any one else up for a weekender?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Nick & Zile

Sounds good....the bellows would be easier when closing up the roof....

I'm back from my hols mid july......

Hi Araon

Any time after your hols would be great, will start to make enquiries ref parts etc. We are just back from ours (good time).

Thanks once again,

Nick & Zile

Latest posts