Keepin' movin'

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first question on eb- be prepared for loads more... Just bought our bus and still getting to know him! What would people recommend keeping in the van in the event 'disaster striking' when on the road? I've so far got a fire extinguisher, clutch and brake cable...we do have breakdown cover butcwas advised that keeping a few essentials will help keep us movin' thanks in advance

A better approach would be to ask what preventative maintenance you need to undertake.

The first thing I would do is read every thing you can find about your carb and distributor.
Secondly buy yourself a bentley manual (bentley publishing), much better than haynes
Thirdly change your fuel lines and filter, make sure each union has a fuel hose clamp not just push fitted.

Then work through the service maintenance schedule in your new Bentley manual.
Basic service:
Set tappits on a cold engine
Change oil
new points and condenser or fit a petronix and never have to worry about points again
New HT leads cap and rotor arm
Set timing with a strobe
Grease front beam
Change gearbox oil
Check brake pads and adjust
Check oil level in steering box

All of the above can be done in a day, there are other things like repacking wheel bearings but the above is the basics I would do on a van I had just bought.

I would work on the assumption that things have not been done correctly in the past or have been neglected. If you go through everything at least you know what youve got.

As noddy said if you make sure every thing is good before you go on a long trip you should be ok .Having said that sometimes the new electrical stuff can can be dodgy.
with this i mind i allways carry spares.
I always have
spare points and condensor
as well as spare plugs,
rotor arm
,dizzy cap
and coil.
spare indicator and headlight relay.

other things in my tool bag include a spare fuel pump and fuel filter.
this is probaby over the top and i have never had to fix any thing while on a trip but its stuff i have anyway so it may as well be in the van.
i also have some spare wire, crimp terminals electrical tape and zip ties.

Also the major thing to do if you are not sure how well your van has been looked after is change the fuel pipes. and if the fuel filter is in the enging compartment put it back where it should be above the gearbox.

Latest posts