• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Late 1970 Deluxe Sunroof Bus with Westfalia interia

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuntingtonBeachSurfBus

Reaction score
Well i never thought this day would come when i have to sell the Bus, but as i've just moved house and with it being a project we need to do alot of work and the only money we have is tied up in this Bus.
I bought it 6 years ago in 2005 when we had it imported from Huntington Beach in California where it had spent all its life. I have been in contact with the previous owner and although he has owned about 15 Bays, he kept this one for 20 years before we got it and it was special to him.
It started off life as a Deluxe Microbus with that California extra, the large metal sunroof that makes driving with it open feel like having air con.
In 2009 we gave it to my neighbours garage and his sprayer Tony took nearly 3 weeks to bare metal it and knock all the dings back in place and it remains with all its original panels except for the front lower lip beneath the bumper which has a Schofield panel on it now. It was respayed in VW Savannah Beige and VW white on the roof and bumpers and then had brand new polished Empi 5's with new Avon Rainmaster rubber fitted as well as all seals that required replacing were done. All the glass remains original, so therefore keeps the 70's ad 80's stickers from So Cal.
We then sourced a correct year 1970 westfalia interia but never did get a good quality buddy seat as that was missing.
The Bus is lowered at least 6 ins from stock at the front and one spline at the rear and sits really nice and low.
Front badge and Grille are triple chromed.
In 2009 we put a BRAND NEW 1641cc long block and carb in it and it has only done about 2000 miles since.
In 2010 we had the gearbox fuly rebuilt by BEARS Motorsport in Birmingham.
Just this summer it has had a new Bosch battery (4 yr Guarantee) and singlepack exaust fitted.
The Bus has never been undersealed and you can see the original metal there with some of the original blue paint. We never drove on recently salted roads or in the bad weather as it was a fair weather Bus for us and is completely genuine.
The only negative thing i can find to say for the sale is that for the last 2 weeks the starter motor is playing up and needs a knock with the hammer to get it started once it has got hot, it normally starts when its been in the garage cold for a week.
I hope the pictures do it justice as the paint job is first class and turns heads wherever it goes.
MOT until Sep 2012 and tax free until end of May 2012.
The insurance valuation has been £15k for the last 2 years since resto.
£13995

Located in East Yorkshire, HU15 postcode west of Hull.

Ady 07985 755896

dsc00091.jpg

dsc00090.jpg

img_0538.jpg

img_0536.jpg

img_0535.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

Latest posts