Laurie Pettit Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nantwich Bus

Reaction score
Hi is anyone in contact with Laurie Pettit ?

He built me a fantastic engine 6 years ago and I need to replace some parts on, I would like to replace them with like for like and would like to know what And where to purchase them....

Alternatively does anyone know what LP used in his builds... I have a two litre engine and need to replace a complete rocker including the shaft rocker clips etc two push rod tubes and one exhaust valve....

Or if no luck with both the above any advise on what and were should I go to get replacement bits as above...

Appreciate any help I can get on this...

Thanks Ed

I will try and get some as I did not drive it home when it started to make a terrible noise even though it was driving fine, I was at my parents house near Banbury and took it in to the original Tubbs Dubs where it is now.... good call thanks for the advice 👍

If it's valve gear then I would've thought any mechanic (pref one who knows air cooled stuff) would be able to identify the issue, parts required and fix. It should all be fairly standard stuff available from the usual places.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Didn't Laurie use Wasserboxer parts in his builds? They should have part numbers on them making them identifiable.

Nantwich Bus said:
I will try and get some as I did not drive it home when it started to make a terrible noise even though it was driving fine, I was at my parents house near Banbury and took it in to the original Tubbs Dubs where it is now.... good call thanks for the advice 👍

If it's there then Gary will do a good job, he's been doing VW's a long time.

I hope it’s better built than the engine he built for the previous owner of my girlfriends bug...

Low n slow said:
K@rlos said:
I hope it’s better built than the engine he built for the previous owner of my girlfriends bug...

Why? What went wrong with it?

Began loosing oil pressure when hot about 6 weeks after we got it, stripped it down to investigate that. Con rods fitted up side down, brass distributor drive looked like it had been set about by a hammer and chisel, rocker geometry was a joke and the valve guides were shagged. Was built a year before we brought it

That's unusal for Tubby. Maybe someone else did something to it inbetween it's re build and you getting it. Also it's not unknown for someone to get an engine built, advertise for sale and put an old engine in before the new person gets it. That happened to me, I spotted it when checking the numbers.
He's been doing VW's for so long I very much doubt he's fitted the con rods upside down. Not defending him but sounds strange to me.

Low n slow said:
That's unusal for Tubby. Maybe someone else did something to it inbetween it's re build and you getting it. Also it's not unknown for someone to get an engine built, advertise for sale and put an old engine in before the new person gets it. That happened to me, I spotted it when checking the numbers.
He's been doing VW's for so long I very much doubt he's fitted the con rods upside down. Not defending him but sounds strange to me.

Funnily enough that’s just about exactly what I thought the first time I’d heard of this but only because of his solid reputation. Plus I have heard of a very similar event happening to a pal of mine with some suspension problems that came back almost a year later, on a vehicle with dubious chassis numbers etc etc, long story short, it wasn’t the same car that he’d worked on but a so called dealer (crook) had put false plates on to try and get it worked on for free.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,there could also be a zillion other reasons :mrgreen:

Laurie is/was? :/ a star and would never sell a bodged engine. The last person to work with him I believe is Pete Nice Aircooled Technic, he will be as good as Laurie when he gets that old 😊

type2tattoo said:
Laurie is/was? :/ a star and would never sell a bodged engine. The last person to work with him I believe is Pete Nice Aircooled Technic, he will be as good as Laurie when he gets that old 😊

Ozziedog,,,,,,, helllloooo yoooou :mrgreen:

I'm about to replace my Laurie Petit 1776 engine and go back to 1600 stock. Pulls well and will throw in the twin carbs. Offers would need to be quick though!

type2tattoo said:

This is not about Laurie, it was something someone said about Tubbs VeeDubs. :shock:

ozziedog said:
type2tattoo said:

Ozziedog,,,,,,, helllloooo yoooou :mrgreen:

Hello ozzie how are you doing? x x x

Low n slow said:
type2tattoo said:

This is not about Laurie, it was something someone said about Tubbs VeeDubs. :shock:

Yeah that wasn't clear, didn't think anyone would slate Laurie 😊

Latest posts