Leaky brake master cylinder on '69

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicred

Reaction score
I noticed my brake fluid reservoir was slowly emptying. Upon inspection I see that the master cylinder is leaking from the front rubber section where the bar goes in. Not really touched brakes before. Is this rubber piece available to purchase or do I need to buy a complete new master cylinder?

Think it could be this: http://www.justkampers.com/211-611-...er-for-vw-t2-1967-1979-7-18mm-with-servo.html

I am guessing I need to take the whole thing out to fit? Looks a bit awkward to me...

Thanks

The grommet will be there just to stop crap from getting into the master cylinder and damaging the seals inside it. The leak will be from a seal inside it, which unfortunately will require a full strip down, or replacement.

They aren't hard to disassemble, probably the most awkward part of the job will be bleeding the brakes afterwards - and cleaning up all the brake fluid that will end up everywhere!r

Thanks. Are rebuild kits available for a '69? I see rebuild kits for newer master cylinders...

Latest posts