Lean Carb Back-fire

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malcolm2

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Station Wagon
That is what I am calling it....

Bus had been running great. 5 years of work, and now after running only about 3 full tanks of gas i get some problems.

Factory set up for new-ish Weber 40 IDFs in my 2 liter type 4. Specs by our former friends at AirCooled.net. I set the Best Lean Idle, and the Snail. No Load, just parked and idling it still is running great. I can rev up passed 4000 rpm and the engine is smooth. But when i start driving, I get some pops. Mainly as I shift gears. As i let off the gas and mash the clutch.... 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Pop, pop, pop, then i get the revs back and cruise and all it well. What would cause this popping only under load?

I added a video of the PARKED and IDLING. Please, let me hear some suggestions. TheSamba folks suggest, re-timing and checking the valves.

Attachments

• IMG_6241[1].MOV
    40.7 MB
^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Wot they said. But I’d still do your valves first anyway unless you got hydraulic ones. Not sure if I could hear a bit of hissing or if I’d imagined it then believed it.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,bit toooo clean in there for my liking :) ;) :)

Latest posts