LED bulbs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67westy

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced the bulbs in the westy lights with LED versions? Are they any good?

i have LED tail lights and indicators? they are damn bright, the indicators require a resistor to add load into the circuit or they flash too rapidly as the relay thinks a bulb is out.

I have some festoon LEDs in the two internal lights and again they are at least twice (maybe even 5 times) as bright. Saves on battery as well due to low current and therefore wattage.

Good stuff, it was the battery life I was thinking of really but added brightness would also be a bonus. Just wasn't sure if they would be too directional compared to a normal bulb.

i bought some huge 12mm super brights for the rear lights, i tried one inside and one LED will light the whole bus. They are actually quite hard to look directly at. You can buy them cheap in lots of 10 prewired and with the resistor in line. All you need is 12v and earth and a fuse.

Im planning to add them into my original devon interior. mr brightside (i think) in the gallery section has done a cracking job with the LED in his van.

I have fitted LED's to the standard interior lights from E-Bay Here

The strip ones are from err :oops: IKEA :oops:, but I have since found the same ones at Maplin quite a bit cheaper Here They are 12 Volt, just disgard the extra wiring & transformer

Cheers for the links :)

Bit more expensive than I thought. Is there any difference between those and these ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Dome-6-SMD-LED-Bulb-Light-Interior-Festoon-Lamp-38mm-/220812830137?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33697865b9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Don't buy the ones I linked to, they just aren't bright enough

Hi - I replaced all 3 in the standard lamp with "yellow" lights - look very much like OG and you still have the warm rather than cold LED lighting,

I also installed a 1 metre long strip LED in the channel of the roof opening - this is also warm yellow and directs light straight up into the pop-top and reflects of this to light the interior much more evenly than the standard unit - wired an extra feed into the cab light and installed a seperate switch - can take pics you that helps

lard said:
Hi - I replaced all 3 in the standard lamp with "yellow" lights - look very much like OG and you still have the warm rather than cold LED lighting,

I also installed a 1 metre long strip LED in the channel of the roof opening - this is also warm yellow and directs light straight up into the pop-top and reflects of this to light the interior much more evenly than the standard unit - wired an extra feed into the cab light and installed a seperate switch - can take pics you that helps

Pics would be great if you have them, still trying to decide exactly what I want to do but extra light in the poptop sounds like a good idea.. I think I also need another light towards the rear for reading whilst in bed, I guess probably a strip along the rear should sort that

Here you go - taken just now in my garage with the other lights off - just the strip light on - with the interior light and cab light on it's nice and bright but still has that warm glow - with the pop-top up it gives nice mood light :)

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

Here you go - these are all LED lights - of the 3 bulbs in the westy light fitting one of them is white LED as this is great for middle of the night toilet runs and also matches the fairy lights in my awning :oops:

DSC_0032.jpg

Johnny said:
i have LED tail lights and indicators? they are damn bright, the indicators require a resistor to add load into the circuit or they flash too rapidly as the relay thinks a bulb is out.

I have some festoon LEDs in the two internal lights and again they are at least twice (maybe even 5 times) as bright. Saves on battery as well due to low current and therefore wattage.

Could we have some pictures of these on please? :poke:

Ive put LEDs in my interiour lights. Small in the interiour light, smalls in the 2 ends of the westy light and a larger one in the middle bit. Much improved and hopefully less drain on the battery

Just ordered some of the bulbs for the interior lights to give them a go and will probably get a couple of strips at some point as well. Just noticed that they also have led dash bulbs that might be a bit brighter and worth trying, anyone had them in?

There was a thread somewhere about sorting your dash lights with LEDs, not sure if it was here or vizzi or the lates, but I can rememeber thinking it looked good and you could actually read the instruments,, :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Another on the long list,,,,, of things too do ! :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
There was a thread somewhere about sorting your dash lights with LEDs, not sure if it was here or vizzi or the lates, but I can rememeber thinking it looked good and you could actually read the instruments,, :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Another on the long list,,,,, of things too do ! :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

You need a 6mm LED to do this, the holders can be modified to accept LEDs quite easily if you can solder. I've just used a bay dash bulb holder and led in my Dehne fuel gauge from vintage speed. It acts as a map reading light. I should be installing the whole unit tonight.

Johnny
Do you happen to know what value of resister is required for 12v load ? I'll have a go at replacing the clear dash lights with LEDs.
Al

Do these look like they might be a direct replacement?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220809708824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Johnny said:
ozziedog said:

You need a 6mm LED to do this, the holders can be modified to accept LEDs quite easily if you can solder. I've just used a bay dash bulb holder and led in my Dehne fuel gauge from vintage speed. It acts as a map reading light. I should be installing the whole unit tonight.

Johnny, have you got a shot of how the vintage speed fuel gauge fits in? Seriously considering this for mine

Thanks
David

Latest posts