Left hand or right hand drive

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adsuk

Reaction score
Left hand or right hand drive
I'm just wondering the pros and cones of getting a left hand drive Like the difference in Insurance ? I'v only driven a left hand when away which just seem to come natural but is driving a left handed vw hard over here in the UK ? Also brake down cover is it the same for a left hand as for a right hand Just things I'm wanting to find out before I jump in and get a camper

Insurance price was almost identical for myself (although I'm under 21).

Breakdown cover is standard too.

Driving the LHD is pretty easy in the UK, apart from if you want to overtake someone which is not often in a standard bus.
Like I said above, I'm 21 and had never driven a LHD car ever when I got my bus but it became natural after about 10 minutes driving. Don't even notice it anymore..

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

If you got kids, the rear door would open into the road if you stop and park naturally on roadside, having said that when in Euroland last year it didn't seem to be too much of an issue in our RHD bus...

Only 2 issues I've had with a LHD was mini roundabouts and overtaking on Mway but soon got use to it. Blind spot mirrors are needed for Mway.

LHD: Driving solo entering car parks with automatic ticket barrier - have to hop over to other window trying to avoid gearstick snagging delicate parts of the anatomy!
NOS, LHD parts much easier to source e.g. anything to do with the sliding door - locks, hinges, door itself.

No problems with left hook here either soon get used to it Saying that have been pulled a few time due to the police mistaking my passenger as driving either drinking a can of cider or more often on the phone

RHD buses are usually British & usually rotten then badly repaired, again & again , not always of course!!!
LHD buses Are usually USA imports & less rotten!!! ( in theory)

15 mins to get used to driving a LHD or 12 months welding a RHD!!!!! :lol:

I know which I'd choose!!!

There are of course exceptions in both cases!!! :D

To me the pros really outweigh any cons with LHD
I have had my Westy for 20 years with no probs driving it
you soon learn there is no gearstick anywhere near the drivers door panel
:lol:

Been driving my left hooker westy since 2007 in the uk (my first lhd), and over the last couple of years been spending more and more time in Spain :) .. now days I never even think about it, drive both rhd's and lhd's both here in the uk and in Europe.
Like anything i guess, you soon get used to it. Plus as stated above, the benefits of having a 'dry' bus speak for themselves, mainly being minus welding!
whatever you decide enjoy.
Liam

I've a lefty and not driven it for 31 months due to resto got back in it and no problems at all.

I did walk round to the wrong side after getting fuel at the weekend though :)

But as others have said no problems driving a lefty in the uk, you do need to be careful whenever taking

J.

Latest posts