leisure battery split chareg relay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't look much different to the JK one really.

I don't know if you can over charge a battery from an alternator? or at all for that matter.

I have fitted loads, you can do it with any 4 pin fused relay to be honest.

Not used one, but have heard several people claim the self switching relay is much better than the old Hella type I was just about to fit to my bus. Reading the ad, this does sound much better and so easy to connect, so I may get one of these myself. And cheap.

Sorry to put a downer on things but i've just removed my 1 of these and fitted an old type 40A relay.
The problem i found is that there are only 3 wires(1 live in from start battery, 1 live out to leisure battery and an earth) but this means that the relay is always switched on until your start battery voltage drops to below the relay turn on voltage.
At Bustypes my relay started clicking constantly (on & off) as the start battery was being drained to charge the leisure battery until the voltage dropped to below the relay turn on set point, then the relay would click off, the start battery would then pick back up as no load was being pulled, this turned the relay back on and so on.
1 way around this was to pull the in-line fuse from the start battery to the relay.

On the older type system it is switched on via the ignition, so no chance of the start battery being drained for the leisure battery

have one of these on my bus. seems to do what it says on tin, easy to fit. not noticed any of froggys experiences, but will check them out.

If anyone fancies trying mine then there welcome to it for the price of the postage, i found a 40A original VW relay in the garage that i have used so the self-switching relay is here if anyone is interested.

I've got one of these,
http://www.yachtbits.com/sterling_power/sterling_split_charge_diodes.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its a split charge diode that they use on boats,much better than a relay as it takes no power, piss easy to wire up as it only needs the battery wire's and is fail safe.
I used to have a split charge relay but the relay stuck in the on position and both battery's went flat when camping :roll: , that will never happen again!! For the price, £38 for 70amp 1 in 2 out, i would say there is no comparison between a diode system and a shitty relay.

Latest posts