LHD to RHD Conversion.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH-I-AM

Reaction score
Anyone done it?
Got a LHD import and was thinking of turning it into a RHD.Doesnt look to dificult.Cant see a problem with moving the clocks and steering column over. Do i just need pedals and a RHD steering box or am i missing something :?:

:mrgreen: Rich :mrgreen:

Hoosier said:
Anyone done it?
Got a LHD import and was thinking of turning it into a RHD.Doesnt look to dificult.Cant see a problem with moving the clocks and steering column over. Do i just need pedals and a RHD steering box or am i missing something :?:

:mrgreen: Rich :mrgreen:

Wiring loom will need to be modified, possibly a new dash, re-routing of brake hoses & master cylinder.
I guess the main question is will the cost of these parts & the possible loss of value of van make it worthwhile?
Never had any major problem myself with driving a LHD over here.

I'm sure it can be done but is it really worth it?
You will have to get UK clocks as the heater controls will be in the wrong place, as you said RHD pedals and all associated linkages, RHD steering box.
As i said i can be done but why bother!

just delete this thread, and then start a new one saying how it's the best thing you ever did, it's easier to drive, it's how it was designed in the first place, you'd never go back to RHD etc. etc. etc.

hell of a lot easier ;)

Reason i want to do it is so that my missus can drive it. Its my 2nd Bay. I wanted rust free as my last one was a UK rust heap that my missus couldnt drive due to the warn linkage and gearbox problems. So i went US import as i couldnt afford a decent Oz rust free. Im happy to drive it as it is. On the other hand my missus wont drive it due to the driver position.She is a very keen VDubber and has her own (stunning) 74 Bug. But i think she's always missed out on driving a T2. You know what theyre like to drive
( :mrgreen: ).And id think she'd love it.

Rich

sell it to her that LHD is easier to park cause your sat on the kerb side
tell her once you get over checking your mirror and and the gear change being weird the
diffrence is about 3 foot thats it

Hoosier said:
Reason i want to do it is so that my missus can drive it. Its my 2nd Bay. I wanted rust free as my last one was a UK rust heap that my missus couldnt drive due to the warn linkage and gearbox problems. So i went US import as i couldnt afford a decent Oz rust free. Im happy to drive it as it is. On the other hand my missus wont drive it due to the driver position.She is a very keen VDubber and has her own (stunning) 74 Bug. But i think she's always missed out on driving a T2. You know what theyre like to drive
( :mrgreen: ).And id think she'd love it.

Rich

Take her to a car park & get her to try it out - realise that its no big deal,
take her on holiday with the £1k that you saved,
get your reward ;)

im just restoring a rhd dormobile - here in germany. i do a complete resto - and don´t even think about changing to lhd.
ok i thought about it - but it is not that easy. the things i think you would have to be changed:
steering box, instruments, heaterlevers, pedal assembly is an other one, breaks - master cylinder position, the brake lines, you have another gas- and clutch-cable, the cab-floor is another one, even the panel behind your kickpanels is another one! electric wires go an other way. the seats if you got original 1/3 - 2/3 (the same with single seats???), the shifter looks a bit other (i´m not sure for that).
i wouldn´t do it.

never again! unless it involves cash :lol:
seriously its a lot of work and involves a lot of metalwork, do a search on here and my old thread will pop up. it involves new dash, wiring loom mods, RHD donor section, new floor section, RHD steering box, RHD pitman arm, master cylinder needs moving, pipes and new mounting point, moving the clutch and acc conduits among other things. i spent a couple of long days in a fairly well equipped workshop doing mine, it would have been a nightmare without the ramp as well
if your serious just email me as i dont get on here much
C ;)

have done one before, its swings and roundabouts to be honest, i only did it because i had most of the parts lying around the garage, ie rhd steering box, brake cynlinder, pedals, dash etc, if i didnt have those i probably wouldnt have done it, plus a bit of chopping and welding of the chassis is in order

Loxy said:
Take her to a car park & get her to try it out - realise that its no big deal,
take her on holiday with the £1k that you saved,
get your reward ;)

Best idea yet :mrgreen:

I guess youll need to swap seat bases and mounts too, to make the drivers side adjustable?

Meh .... as they say.

Araon said:
Since you are on here SK hows the business doing

howdy fella, business is busy at the moment, Mike F had some work done last week and caroles bus is in this week, i love being blinded by the welder and burnt by the grinder :shock: :lol:

clem re seat bases ive got custom seats so not something i had to cover but another point to consider :!:

Cheers all for your input.
I guess the best thing would be to let her have a drive as is and see how it goes.

Rich :mrgreen:

Hoosier said:
Cheers all for your input.
I guess the best thing would be to let her have a drive as is and see how it goes.

Rich :mrgreen:

thats definaly the cheapest option! :lol:
good luck ;)

Latest posts