Look what we've been doing this weekend

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinvan

Reaction score
Myself & Davidomes
Have been busy this weekend fitting our newly rebuilt engine and six rib gearbox
1776 with twin Weber 34ict's built by Able (Afonso Motors) in Wrexham must say he did a fantastic job, very knowledgeable and a nice guy, highly recommended
also a six rib box to make it a nice combination, not forgetting a nice new Vintage Speed exhaust
Lots of cups of tea, some sweating swearing, but now there in and running, few things to go back on bumper, tow-bar, etc etc
then its off to the rolling road to get it tuned up, Cant Wait !!!!

Lovely setup there - bet it was a fun weekend installing that little lot
Be an awesome first drive

Hello there, have you actually riddent your bus with a 6 rib already? What are you thoughts?

Thx,

Jan

Not drove the bus yet, will hopefully be on the road this weekend with the new setup, will let you know

1961bluebug said:
Hello there, have you actually riddent your bus with a 6 rib already? What are you thoughts?

Thx,

Jan
It goes really well with this particular 1776 for a leisure Bus. The highway speeds are quite decent and saves fuel on long journeys, not making it sluggish in town too due to the added torque of the 1776 combined with the stock cam and dual carbs. I would not recommend for a 1776 with performance cam though.
Abel

Nice work! First start will be enjoyable! 8)

vinvan said:
1776 with twin Weber 34ict's built by Able (Afonso Motors) in Wrexham must say he did a fantastic job, very knowledgeable and a nice guy, highly

I did not realise he was involved with carbs, I might have to send a message! :shadey:

Well that sounds encourageable for me as I posted this some time ago without response: I found a very good 2 ltr 6 rib transmission for a fair price (very hard to do these days! I need a qualified opinion if my engine will handle this gearbox. My bus is a walkthrough '68 with very basic interior(rusty lee bed, table and buddy box)I do not plan to haul a lot of passengers or camping stuff. The engine is a well built 1835 singleport with Kadrons, good compression, quality exhaust, stock weight 8 dowel flywheel, Mild Engle 100 canmshaft,and good clutch plate. Full stock doghouse cooling, and I can add oil cooler very easily if needed.. I roll on stock 185/82x14" tires.
Sorry for wedging this into your thread but it gave me hope that the work witch changing transmissions will not be wasted:)

It does sound like it should be just about on the right track. A 1776 really needs a bit more than a stock three rib and I’m guessing this is where you’ve started as in needing a bit more legs with your 1835 . If you’ve got the box then it sounds like you’re on it anyway. Only thing I’d make sure of is a temp gauge of some description, oil is as good as any. But record a few runs with your old box in , to compare. Flat gradient, hilly run, outside temp, load in bus, weather conditions , time of year etc etc then you can compare without relying on memory which usually ain’t as good as we think. Plus, watch how quickly the gauge changes after changing a variable. :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,, keep us in the loop bud :mrgreen:

Latest posts