Looking after the van this winter

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Htotheunit

Reaction score
Ok, i have another week to wait until i can get some waxoyl for the underside (poor student) but just a few questions/tips i need on how to look after my van this winter

1. Rust bubbles :(

Is there a special method i should use or simply sand them to bare metal then primer them? Do i try keep primer off the existing paint, or can it be overlapped to be re-sprayed with a paint match next year?

2. Underneath :?

Shall i just clean the bottom, then waxoyl it all, or is there any kind of paint i can use before waxoyl that will give me better protection from ugly rust? any tips for applying waxoyl

3.I can't afford to weld my front wheel arch!! :cry:

Yes, the ugly rust had a hold on my driver side wheel arch, and i can't afford a welding torch or repair pannel... What shall i do?! i don't it to kill the van or make the repair bigger than it is..

4. Bloody devon roofs :x

I've spent loads of time applying more bloody sealer to my roof (not silicone bath sealer, some thick paint type special stuff) only to have it leak still. Drips are coming from the black inner edging that goes around the roof light. Is this just something i'll have to accept, or is there any places i could re seal to get rid of this problem?

Thanks in advance for your advice/answers to my silly questions :D

hasthespaz said:
1. Rust bubbles :(

Is there a special method i should use or simply sand them to bare metal then primer them? Do i try keep primer off the existing paint, or can it be overlapped to be re-sprayed with a paint match next year?

you can use a special spot blaster that blasts just the rust spot and protects the rest of the paint around it, the advantage is that it gets rid of all the rust pitted into the metal. use an etch primer and have it resprayed next year. etch primer is porous so you might need another coat of paint.

hasthespaz said:
2. Underneath :?

Shall i just clean the bottom, then waxoyl it all, or is there any kind of paint i can use before waxoyl that will give me better protection from ugly rust? any tips for applying waxoyl

alot of people recommend POR15 you can get chassis black which is good. you need to properly prep the metal as well, then waxoyl over that.

hasthespaz said:
3.I can't afford to weld my front wheel arch!! :cry:

Yes, the ugly rust had a hold on my driver side wheel arch, and i can't afford a welding torch or repair pannel... What shall i do?! i don't it to kill the van or make the repair bigger than it is..

you can get compunds that eat rust it will stop progression until you can afford to get the panel or welder.

hasthespaz said:
4. Bloody devon roofs :x

I've spent loads of time applying more bloody sealer to my roof (not silicone bath sealer, some thick paint type special stuff) only to have it leak still. Drips are coming from the black inner edging that goes around the roof light. Is this just something i'll have to accept, or is there any places i could re seal to get rid of this problem?

the best cure for this is to de-rivet the complete middle section, replace the rubber trim (cheap enough) and strenghten the bows across the middle section with brackets and re-rivet the middle section back. This stops any sagging that allows water to sit on the roof, stops any leakage from the worn/rusted rivets and water from the dodgy trim leaking in. Its also a good idea to use sealant again over the rivets and a bead around the trim edges under the roof.

hi my winter hell was my old 69 tin top,even tho it was mot`ed i just left it on the drive only turning engine over now and again,never covered it and found out only leaving it from late setember to march it rotted quite bad underneath even the chassis was gone,so drive it and well cover it cos our rain and salty roads kills em i had to sell