Losing power while driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On a couple of trips recently the engine started to lose power, speed just dropped from about 55mph and kept slowing down. Pulled over, turned it off. Was about 10mins into the journey, up til then had been running ok. Left it for a while then starts again and drives. Engine surround is hot to touch. Someone has suggested it might be 'nipping'. Can anyone advise on this? It's not been driven for two years while the whole bus was restored so don't know if it's something to do with this. Thanks. Andrew

Fuel filter could be part blocked or very low oil pressure maybe? Never heard of nipping! (not in engine terms anyway)
The only 'nipping' I'm familiar with is the 'down the pub for a swift' kind of nipping! :lol:
Need to have a looksee for a proper diagnosis really

Does it have an alternator fitted in place of a dynamo? If so, check the cam on the side of the carb isn't hitting the alternator casing, as you will only be getting half throttle and causing your engine to work harder than it has to. If this is the case, you may need to put a carb spacer in place.

had similar symptoms and problems as a result of overheating but it was after i'd been caning it on an autoroute in france for about 90 mins, in hot conditions. Drove the rest of the holiday by checking the temperature gauge and all was fine. my engine is not stock and 10 mins sounds like a very short time for the engine to get too hot but just my experience of similar problems... I'm now going to fit a separate oil cooler and all should be fine i'm told..I think the fuel evaporates too quickly as a result of the temps, or something like that, i'm not over technical.

Thanks all. Yes, that's my usual kind of nipping!! I'm about as mechanically minded as someone isn't at all mechanically minded, so I'll pass your suggestions on to the guy who's worked it for me. Fingers crossed. Thanks again. Great QOTSA lyric by the way!

Sounds similar to the issues I have been having!! I have just had my van delivered back tonight so the info is hot of the press from the mechanic, (VW reteration guy) who knows what he is doing and talking about!!

Internal fuel filter completely clogged with years of silt and dirt, was removed and completely cleaned out
Fuel tank completely flushed out
External fuel filter replaced! He cut it open to show me and I have to say I am totally shocked any fuel managed to get through, it was horrendous!! I am waiting for him to send me the photos over and if I get them I will post some up here.
Fuel pump replaced as it was reading a bit low on the pressure.
All fuel lines replaced just to make sure.

Now this is the strange bit, basically at some point in time of it's 41 years of being around, the ignition switch went, so the rather clever owner fitter a toggle switch that basically connected between the ignition barrel and switch to by pass it, why who knows..... Basically one of the wires was bare under the dash and while the mechanic had the engine runnning and he was under the dash tidying up the wiring, he touched this bare wire and the van died.

Oh and the other thing you may want to check is the coil. I spoke to Just Kampers and the guy told me to take it off, give it a shake and if it sounded like a can of coke, it was knackered, it did exactly that and so replaced it as well.

So it might be worth having these checked out just to make sure!!!

Good luck with it.

GOM

Great, thanks for that, really helpful. I'll pass all that onto my mechanic. I know he'd mentioned replacing the coil so that's interesting that you were advised the same. It hadnt been run for two years while we fully restored it, so things could well be blocked and clogged!! Thought we'd done all the dirty work. Cheers GOM, keep you posted.

No problem, mine had been sat about idle for a good few months too!!

Latest posts