lpg anyone running there van on it

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyers73

Reaction score
hi im interested on anyone running there early bay on LPG. bit of advise, feedback,etc ive bin offered a complete set up.just figuring if its worth the hassle.thanks

I run LPG on a couple of my cars, a Chrysler PT Cruiser and a Chevy Blazer, they run well. One worry I have at the moment is that a lot of garages, mainly shell and BP are taking out their LPG pumps so I am wondering how easy it will be to get it soon.

newhippy said:
I run LPG on a couple of my cars, a Chrysler PT Cruiser and a Chevy Blazer, they run well. One worry I have at the moment is that a lot of garages, mainly shell and BP are taking out their LPG pumps so I am wondering how easy it will be to get it soon.

What he said,

Our only supplier in about 10 miles has just stopped selling it and that's an ESSO garage.

I did up until last year when I swapped the engine. Ran well and never had any LPG related issues, would do it again on this engine if it wasn't for the warranty.

Got it on the bug, saved my about £1000 a year until it packed up. I could fix it for under £20, it's just not worth the hassle at the moment since the car'll be mothballed soon-

-Power was lower. Not annoyingly lower, but it was.
-Cost about 2/3 of the price to run, fuel wise
-Didn't notice any difference in sound
-No engine issues- in fact, drove it for the best part of a year on LPG only because I couldn't be bothered to sort out a blocked jet and it was annoying me.
-Installed in June 2013, have since completed approx. 80-90,000 miles* without issue, No valves have burned out (junkyard engine too, which I'd already covered 30K with! Still runs a treat)
-Makes a cool noise when you refuel

*I think that deserves a separate mention TBH. 80K+ in three years on a '73 bug. It's a little champion.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I run my bus on lpg - stock 1600TP with Solex 34 Pict 3 carb using the BLOS gas carb - see for details: http://www.corrado.com.pl/warsztat/blos/blos_evolution_ml.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

runs sweet as and much better and cleaner than petrol - oil stays clean for much longer and plugs and exhaust etc...

never had a problem in over 20k miles. starts on lpg, never any need for petrol unless run out of gas, switch over works very well so what's the hassle...

55 litre cylinder gas tank fits under rear seat base -standard Devon interior, need to raise the base about 5cms to fit...filler pipe attaches to self-made bracket that bolts to offside rear chassis behind rear wheel, protected by mudflap...

never had a problem with finding lpg in UK nor in France/Italy/Switz/Belgium/Spain/NL etc. Contract with Countrywide gives me cheap and 24/7 access to their sites acros Midlands and West Country where I can fill with my coded key at my leisure... 54p/litre at mo, monthly account.

let me know if you need more info on the conversion.

I am just having a 1776 motor built by Stateside with heads/valves/cam to suit lpg - with a 34 PICT 3 carb 'expanded' to 37mm and rejetted by Guido Wensing in Germany...this should enable a much better airflow and gas supply from the BLOS carb
as well as give more petrol power when needed

also run lpg on my Audi 80 2.0E - absolute dream drive...

cheers
Rob

Ran LPG on my old daily but not the bus.
Prinz setup on an Audi A8 (4.2 V8) and never had a problem in the 2 years I ran it :)

Tank was in the spare wheel well and the filler was hidden next to the normal fuel filler so very stealthy.
With it being around 330Bhp on fuel, then can't really notice a dip in the performance.

Would consider doing this to the van if I did more than 5000 miles per year as it would pay for itslf over about 5 years....

Works out even quicker if you self install. Cost me about £600 to fit. Saved at least 50p a litre which is 5866 miles @ 22mpg. Paid for itself in 2 years :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Latest posts