Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Discovered my leisure battery was down to 11.2v when I got home. The fuse in the split charger lead had blown. (30amp!). So I assume it had probably blown before the 130 mile trip and hence not charging from the alternator. Put in a new fuse but I hope that doesn’t happen again, as I need the LB for everything when camping[emoji2955]

Looks like you've had some good trips Mike. Do you need the split charge with the solar? I've considered taking mine out as the solar seems to keep the leisure battery topped up well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

67westy said:
Looks like you've had some good trips Mike. Do you need the split charge with the solar? I've considered taking mine out as the solar seems to keep the leisure battery topped up well.

I think the main difference with yours is that it is fixed up top so even when you’re driving it’s producing electric. Mine is only set up at the campsite, so I need the split charger when travelling to keep the LB topped up on journeys to and from the campsite as the fridge is drawing current all the time.

Mike, the in line in my split charge is 60A (page 7 in my thread below)... I'm not for a minute suggesting you'd not have triple checked your system but thought I'd mention it anyway ;)
Liam

mike202 said:
67westy said:

I think the main difference with yours is that it is fixed up top so even when you’re driving it’s producing electric. Mine is only set up at the campsite, so I need the split charger when travelling to keep the LB topped up on journeys to and from the campsite as the fridge is drawing current all the time.
AHH yeah that would make a difference. Time for a fixed panel? :)

lemur said:
Mike, the in line in my split charge is 60A (page 7 in my thread below)... I'm not for a minute suggesting you'd not have triple checked your system but thought I'd mention it anyway ;)
Liam

Thanks Liam for the comment. I haven’t had to touch the split charger or fuses since I had it installed in 2013. Maybe the one I have is quite a low amp relay that’s why it is only 30 amp.

I think it’s a voltage sensitive relay (VSR). It only has a live in from the car battery, and a live to the LB, and an earth.

ea2c9ff7fe5c9c8e82e0dbc14ffdbbb8.jpg
9b937eddd39600cc3f4c3153e3dfd26a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

67westy said:
mike202 said:
67westy said:

AHH yeah that would make a difference. Time for a fixed panel? :)

Ha ha! I’ve only had my fold up panel a short time so not yet. Still evaluating [emoji1690][emoji1]

This is exactly what’s needed , as in real life evaluations of slightly different systems with factual comparisons so that readers (and dumbos) like me can see what the subtle differences are in the real world in differing situations. Whereas ordinarily, someone like me with the electrical knowledge and intelligence of two mating rhinos is considering all these things as a massive ‘’Where the hell do I start type thing” . I’ve toyed with the idea of a leisure battery and a PV system , mostly to provide the juice to power a fridge of some description to cool them Stellas. I have got the most fabby dozee cool box, but it will only keep cold Stellas cool for several days but I couldn’t then introduce warm bottles and expect it to cool them down in much more than a half a dozen bottles or so, and nobody in their right mind would drink warm Stellas :shock: :roll: :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, following avidly and intently :mrgreen:

I've been chatting to Mike about fixed panels and sharing some details of my setup and how it works. If there is interest I could pop the details and some pics in a separate thread?

67westy said:
I've been chatting to Mike about fixed panels and sharing some details of my setup and how it works. If there is interest I could pop the details and some pics in a separate thread?

Thanks for the info. Definitely something I would consider, ie having a fixed solar panel. It all depends on whether you use the roof rack or not. I don't use it so may be a good alternative for me.

There is some usable space left as well. We didn't use ours very often so the compromise was worth it for our use :)

Yes, also for a road trip type holiday it means you don’t have to keep setting up the solar panel and then stowing it in the morning.

It’s all very new this solar power stuff, to me any way, and so is having a proper fridge. I think it’s the future though [emoji4]

67westy said:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,this is most likely the thread I’m yakking about :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Coda said:
Or even Stella at all :p
Try a decent British Ale? :D

Ozziedog,,,,,let me know if you ever find one :mrgreen:
You’ve lived a sheltered life Ozziedog.
Stella is basically the Coca Cola of beer. Cheap sugary mess designed to appeal to the masses.
I will try to bring some *good* beer to Techenders.

As for solar panels...I got a flexi one and have bonded it to the pop-top.
So far it's been working perfectly and leaves the rack for packing gear onto.
Wired through a 3-way charger system that does it all automatically...solar, hook-up or alternator...job sorted, cider cold!
Cheers
Al

Bundy said:
As for solar panels...I got a flexi one and have bonded it to the pop-top.
So far it's been working perfectly and leaves the rack for packing gear onto.
Wired through a 3-way charger system that does it all automatically...solar, hook-up or alternator...job sorted, cider cold!
Cheers
Al

That sounds good, and the flexi panel is a solution for many people, judging by all the YouTube videos I’ve been watching on the subject recently!
I’ve ordered mono-crystalline panel in a frame, 100 watts. So we’ll see how it goes when I get around to the installation. [emoji3]

Hi Mike, just had another thought on a simple change for when you are off grid. Swapping the light bulbs in the westy interior light saves quite a bit of power. We have two of them and when they were both on it pulled 3.88a swapping to LED versions dropped it to 0.55a

67westy said:
Hi Mike, just had another thought on a simple change for when you are off grid. Swapping the light bulbs in the westy interior light saves quite a bit of power. We have two of them and when they were both on it pulled 3.88a swapping to LED versions dropped it to 0.55a

Adam, you’re right, and I did this in 2015. [emoji1690]

I changed the three table light bulbs and cab interior light from 10 watts trad style, to 1 watt LED. [emoji3]

Latest posts