Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a remote servo fitted last week[emoji3] it was a kit from VW Jim.
Thanks to Paul @lvh engines for fitting it.

In the end the we opted for the fitting behind the front chassis cross member where one or two others have had it fitted.

What a massive difference it's made to braking. The lightest touch now slows the van down for slip roads and roundabouts, and I no longer feel like I have to stamp down on the pedal to halt the van.

I drove Monty down to Camperjam straight after picking home up from Paul's so haven't got many pics. But it was a good test drive and this mod should keep me happy for a while any way [emoji41]

It was good to see some other EB owners at Camperjam and of course there were some great EB vans/buses there as well as other dubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
Had a remote servo fitted last week[emoji3] it was a kit from VW Jim.

Hi Mike

Just seen this...ignore my comment in my recent reply suggesting it!

It is a great upgrade, can't recommend it enough.

kev

Spent a fortune over winter, Mike.

The servo is in the same place as yours, tucked under the front end. The choice of location was left to my trusty mechanic who has done quite of few of these conversions. It seems to be the obvious place really.

I went the whole hog and replaced drums with disks up front after the cylinder seals failed on a massive hill in Pembrokeshire. I limped home (don't ask) and took the plunge. never looked back.

Kev

Lovely bus Mike 👌🏻 Can't beat a red westy 😝 Love the wiper mod looks very handy, was one of the things that bugged me with the split only having one speed 👎🏻 Should have a look for one well I have the dash top off.

You have done some miles in him, do you still rate the Koni's thinking about buying some as mine is so bouncy specially compared to my lowered split

James

Thanks :) I have done quite a few miles this year, been to Scotland twice, New Forest, Lincolnshire, and Camperjam :D

Just changed the oil as it mounted up to 3000 miles in about two months! I am trying 20 W 50 Halfords Classic motor oil this time as its thicker so should stand the heat of summer a bit better. When I started the engine after the oil change, I could hear the engine turning over more slowly due to the thicker oil. Slightly disconcerting at first but yesterday we visited Volkspower show at Redcar, 120 mile return journey and all is fine.

Great to see some other Earlybayers there and Lee C's Mezzetti double crewey was looking 8)

On the subject of the wiper module, its had a lot of use and is still going. I had it on the 8 sec delay nearly all the way to Redcar yesterday :lol: , although it stopped raining when we arrived. Another Earlybayer has just added one to his bus:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70514&p=594320&hilit=intermittent+wiper#p594320

The Koni's have been great at helping to get the handling under control. That and checking the ball joints are working, there's grease in the beam, and commercial rated tyres. I am still at stock height which means that we get nice views over fences/hedges as we drive along, and well cushioned against pot holes. I do feel that I would prefer to lower the front a couple of inches which I think would improve the handling a bit more but we'll have to see about that one.

Thanks for the reply Mike 👍🏻 Will bite the bullet and get a set also can I ask were you got your wiper gadget from

Cheers James

You may not be able to see the pics on my thread ATM [emoji848]

It is Revolution Electronics VW wiper module that I have.

http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Products/vw-int-wiper/
[emoji106]

Had some sill repairs done and the cab floor painted. Also got the MOT. Ready for camping [emoji3]

2fd0db36269778b4bc6720cbf109479f.jpg

Painted cab floor

835742b496c65cdc6be42398fa6dca0e.jpg

01adfe504566f08e532531fac229d6da.jpg

Just put one of those wiper units in Boris. You will not be sorry.
My son brought it back from America in his suitcase, for my birthday. :)

J & P
:D :D :D

Day trip to test the engine after setting valve clearances, timing etc. All running well so looking forward to our next France trip [emoji632]
Have had the rear end raised to level out the stance and I think it definitely looks better now. [emoji41]

1f3de1a082e3c2e6ba53eefbbf9ed21e.jpg

5963cda1809ded195b162f689aeae0f9.jpg

Looks good mike, we are heading to France next week so might see you there [emoji14]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for the comments. Hope you have a good time in France Adam. [emoji41]

We were around Brittany for ten days. Lovely warm weather beautiful scenery. Van was great, no problems everyone loved the aircooled sounds and looks. No chocks needed at campsites since the rear suspension raise. [emoji847]
We did around 1500 miles using 1 litre of oil.
I kept to 55 to 60 mph which feels right for me and Monty.

542399444fd63c1b2d6b2c099de251a7.jpg

On the ferry. [emoji925]

3cbf2a4f5dea9b526e605e5387837931.jpg

04cc6533a2141c3390496a57ebccedff.jpg

Latest posts