More power

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAlexander

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Westfalia
going to be spend my hard earned on having the body done this winter so while the engines out, what do i do to get more power?

Currently a single port 1600, so are my options to buy a bigger engine? Different gearbox?

if so what else needs to change fly wheel etc.

I really want more grunt because when i go away i like my creature comforts and needless to say the bus is loaded, and a fully loaded bus with a single poert 1600 in north Cornwall or Devon or even the lake district is great fun. I've often found I've got up hills on will power alone :lol: your help would be greatly recieved

IF the engine is sound (end float within spec, all compressions OK, oil pressure OK) then you could fit twin ICTs and a quiet pack exhaust. That should give you at least an extra 15 hp.
BUT if your engine is tired and worn, doing the above will kill it pretty quickly.

Would rather keep the exhaust as is, it still heats the bus on the cold days, plus us a friend did the twin carbs and now has all kinds of problems with it so not sure about that. As far as I've been told by professionals the engine is good also don't want to go down the water cooler path

i don't like working on vdubs more that i have to so i never dual carb anything out. always check endplay if you can move the front pulley in and out pretty good then it's time for a rebuild. i heard those slip in case but thick on top 88mm pistons are pretty good you can do that if your endplay is good. on another note i had a 1776 single carb in a bus i had years ago and it ran like a champ every day no problems at all.

I have a dual port 1600cc with a single Weber progressive carb - what a change with this carb - hills I had to go up in second gear I can now take in fourth!

RichardAlexander said:
Would rather keep the exhaust as is, it still heats the bus on the cold days, plus us a friend did the twin carbs and now has all kinds of problems with it so not sure about that. As far as I've been told by professionals the engine is good also don't want to go down the water cooler path

Quiet pack exhaust goes on with the heat exchangers in place so no problem with heating the bus as usual. Twin ICTs are easy to set up and are pretty economical. Hundreds of bus owners have fitted them with good results. Suggest your friend takes his bus to a proper air-cooled garage to get them sorted.

BJ1 said:
RichardAlexander said:

Quiet pack exhaust goes on with the heat exchangers in place so no problem with heating the bus as usual. Twin ICTs are easy to set up and are pretty economical. Hundreds of bus owners have fitted them with good results. Suggest your friend takes his bus to a proper air-cooled garage to get them sorted.

thanks for the info i will look into it

silly question time do twin carbs work with single port engines, i know the single double port has nothing to do with the amount of carbs :shock: :shock: but never heard of a single port engine running them

Latest posts