My 1971 Riviera Campwagen

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannot explain how delighted I was to learn that I could replace the pushrod tube seals without removing the engine, all of the tinware, the heads and all that malarkey. Perhaps these type 4 engines are alright after all... :)

Looking down the headholes by iancleary, on Flickr

The head end seals were still pretty squishy, and looked alright...

Head-end seals by iancleary, on Flickr

...but the block end ones were rock-hard and needed to be cut off the tubes.

Block-end seals by iancleary, on Flickr

I was going to order some new tubes but in the end I decided to save the money and just go carefully. Quite pleased I did in the end, as every tube was nicely stamped with a little VW logo.

VW stamped tubes by iancleary, on Flickr

That's the nice thing about this bus, as much as it's a bind that many of the rubber and paper seals are leaking or covered in crud the majority of things seem quite untouched and many parts are VW rather rather than pattern. I'm a little worried about getting NOS-obsessed... I need a new driver's door courtesy light switch, and am wondering where I can get a NOS part from.

Anyway, another pic? Go on then... I found another VW logo stamped on my heat exchanger and just had to share ;)

VW stamped exchanger by iancleary, on Flickr

I am very pleased with this little DAB radio for entertainment while camping... stuck the fan heater on in the van for a bit and went and sat and had a cuppa out there, made sure the little fella didn't feel too unloved sitting out there in the cold...

Snug inside, wintery outside. by iancleary, on Flickr

Gorgeous picture with the snowy trees outside. Beautiful van interior. Should be in Elle Decoration, let alone a camper mag :)

Finally managed to get the bus clean...

A bit of shine and gleam. by iancleary, on Flickr

...and then the heavens opened, again...

I keep having a recurring dream where there is a clear 24 hour period where my bus stays clean and dry :roll:

More interior fiddling this weekend... I got a Westfalia top shelf from eBay, but thanks to a thoughtless courier (!) it arrived broken :-(

The laminate on the underside was a bit buggered too, so I peeled that off and me and the kids set about it. Initially screwing and taping the break in the bottom board.

repairs by iancleary, on Flickr

Then we started on the decoupage.

Kids at work by iancleary, on Flickr

All maps of places important and special to us... from France and Sweden to Oregon and Norfolk. Lincolnshire and East Yorkshire get pride of place...

almost done by iancleary, on Flickr

That done, it was time to fit the bugger...

Westy shelf by iancleary, on Flickr

decoupage by iancleary, on Flickr

Campmobile 70 supplied me with a spot on spice rack for the van, requiring a relocation of the Riviera flap table and a 1" shunt left for the sink unit...

relocated flap table by iancleary, on Flickr

added a spice rack and flap table from SimonVWT2 by iancleary, on Flickr

...not too tricky and looks great! Very handy, extra storage very welcome!

loaded and ready for adventure by iancleary, on Flickr

The next planned mod tranche gets pricey... hunting a Waeco fridge and am swapping the sink in the unit for a cooker, ideally a flush burner with a lid like the Smev ones. Can you get one small enough? I was looking previously at the burner/sink combo and it is about half an inch too wide for the unit :-(

Campmobile70 said:
Looking good, I have a sink top table for early sink unit if you need one

Thanks

Cheers dude!

Is that the hinged one? I think that the Riviera flap does a good job there and matches my table and buddy seat top. I really need to find a supplier of laminate, Formica and wood veneer... :)

Looking good..!!! 8) 8)

I got some veneer from thses guys and they sent it well wrapped by courier, worth a look? :D

http://catalogue.chilterntimber.co.uk/category2470625.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gwar72 said:
Looking good..!!! 8) 8)

I got some veneer from thses guys and they sent it well wrapped by courier, worth a look? :D

http://catalogue.chilterntimber.co.uk/category2470625.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My lunchtime today was spent removing the 12v cigarette lighter socket and replacing it with this neat USB socket.

USB 12v Socket by iancleary, on Flickr

There, that should allow all USB devices to remain charged during trips :)

Airtime said:
I really like what you (and the kids ;) ) have done to the top shelf!

Bus gets better and better. :)

Cheers all!

I have yet to get the kids to the point where they can take care of all of the maintenance for me...

Trip to France is looming... so bobbed him in for an MoT.

Failed on brake imbalance... new calliper, OSR shocker... two new rear shockers... and a rear brake with puny effort... new wheel cylinder.

Also asked for a service as I trust the chaps at Brigg MOT and I'm short on time at the moment. The Weber is playing up and doing my tree in. Short story there is that I'm going back to OE fuelling via 2 x Solex and a proper airbox / breather ensemble. All that's en route... usual courier trick though of carding me while I popped out for 20 mins today... :roll:

Finally I picked up 5 x steel wheels last night with new Continental Vanco tyres on 4 of them. :D

Dropped them in at the tyre place in Hibaldstow for removal this evening and shall take the rims off to the powdercoaters tomorrow for some fresh colour. Am going for beauty rings and (if I can find them) SS OE style hubcaps... can't decide what colour for the rims though? Do I go white to match the bumpers or black or silver? Even toyed with the idea of a chocolate brown... :?:

Happy though! Feels like the van is coming together... just need to figure out now how I solve the sleeping issues...

In other news... dropped in to see my Beetle at the paintshop today. Shouldn't be too much longer now... just nicks and scratches getting blown in, and a repair to a ding on the front valance. I can't wait to get him back, and then I need to pull the 1776 for a new flywheel oil seal, an IDF overhaul and some new fuel hoses...

Erik is in makeup... by iancleary, on Flickr

...once that lot is done it will be time to get him back where he belongs, out in the evening sunshine for summer blats and fun times :D

Twilight... by iancleary, on Flickr

Latest posts