My 1972 Devon

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willi76

Reaction score
Thought i'd post a few pics of the resto that i've been doing on my beloved over the summer. She's nearly done now with only the engine to go back in and some finishing touches. Heres the pics:

MyBay.jpg

This was pre strip down and how i'd been running her for about 3 years :wink:

05032006039.jpg

05032006035.jpg

18032006045.jpg

Then after the welding was done on the usual areas ie under the windscreen she was sent off to be sprayed by a good friend of mine.

30032006052.jpg

04042006055-001.jpg

The usual straightening was needed before paint

25042006072.jpg

In primer

12052006092.jpg

And then back home again

13052006096.jpg

1700 T4 engine out for a replacement 2ltr to go in :D Also painted the engine bay in the white at this point

18062006116-001.jpg

And this is the most up to date photo i have on my pc. I will post more soon as the everything is now virtually finished :shock:

That looks a real beaut! 8)
Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.
Oh, and welcome :D

rony b said:
love the colour :D

Thanks, it an original VW colour called Montana red. Looks really good as it changes colour from very dark red to brown in different lights :shock:

Well I pulled her out into the sunshine today for the first time in a few months. Realised she needs a damn good clean but she's not far off being finished so i'll give her a good polish and wax when all the bits are on. Just got the monor problem of trying to get the seized engine to turn over :shock: A tip for you all, don't leave a freshly built engine in a damp enviroment for 3 months otherwise you'll have the same problems as i'm having at the moment. It's rock solid and being a T4 it's a bastard to get in and out of the van :cry:

Image001-1.jpg

Corking van dude! keep up the good work and get that engine running! 8)

Well tomorrow's d day for the engine. Stripped the top end down last week expecting the worst and found out the only reason it wouldn't turn was the fact that the fan was fouling the housing so much it was locking into place :roll: 3 washers later and she was turning freely :D Hopefully it'll go in tomorrow and turn over freely and by the afternoon i'll have a running bay again :wink:
Then it's a mad rush to get her finished for Vanwest. Theres a bit of touching up to do from little nicks that have happened, a bit of interior work to do and a hell of a lot of polishing but hopefully we'll get there in the 5 weeks before her big outing in all her glory 8)
I'll post some more pics if i get a chance tomorrow :)

Pleased the engine problem has been resolved and I hope you get to
Vanwest - well done :D 8)

This is a quality bus`and nearly there now your hard work will soon be rewarded 8)

now the engines back in :shock: its bi a bit of oky cokey with that engine :lol:

Well after a great first outing at Vanwest i have finally got time to post some pics up of Betsy now she's finished :wink:

Here's an artistic shot from the show

betsy.jpg

And last weekend just before i finished her

Image000-1.jpg

The interior

Image003-1.jpg

Image004.jpg

And finally the engine

Image005-1.jpg

She's nearly completely done now so i can then start again on the Karmann Ghia thats sat in my garage :roll: :D

I just saw your van... so sweet and its a devon moonraker as well?

First congratulations it looks amazing, i have the same only in Chianti Red, my problems im missing the 2 tables that make up the high lvl bed, and i think they are the same size. Im trying to keep the original layout as best as possible.

I see you have one table that looks original, in your pictures, would you be so kind to let me know what the table measurements are including the leg lenght as well? i'd really appreciate it.

PS the Roof Rack Rocks (say that fast 5 times! :lol: ), I like bows but there everywhere now, and that one looks as close to the 'original tubular style' racks as i've seen yet.

thanks, Johnny

Thanks dude. I'm sure i've got a spare table in the workshop somewhere so i'll look next time i'm over there and let you know 8) Just remind me next week as this weekends gonna be hectic and you can have it as i won't need it again :wink: :D

Brilliant! nice one, let me know how much it'll cost + postage and i can paypal you or send a cheque. Really Really Appreciated ;) :D :D

Latest posts