My '68 Bus - The Photo Bus (and daily driver)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinco

Reaction score
I have been meaning to do this for ages (infact nearly a year!)

This isnt my first EB, I had a US 70 Westy Poptop 2 years ago that I bought from the UK (just been imported from Cali) I got it roadworthy and drove it for a 9 months or so before selling it to another EB Forum member (Who has since restored her! :) )

I then moved to the darkside and bought a T5 as I was just going full time with my freelance photography and also wanted a bit of a promo base vehicle for advertising.

Well, this was all good but I soon had the hankering for an old dub again and was also pondering the idea of using one as a photo booth to go along with my business. A few days (yes days!) after this first thought I was the proud owner of a French import 1968 tintop :)

Il let the photos do the talking and pretty much bring you upto speed!

When I first bought her...
1 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

2 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

3 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Gave her a general tidy up, new alternator, removed stickers, new stereo and treated her to some BRM's
4 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

My boys happy we gone old skool again :)
5 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Was now driving the bus daily (really enjoying it!)
6 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Long term plan was to fit some 15" Split steels, a set came up, I grabbed them, painted and fitted some new tyres, much better than the BRM's I think
7 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Redid the interior panels and fitted some sound deadening and insulation
8 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

17 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Wanted a full length rack, sold my 3 bow and got a full length made, very happy with it (PITA to paint though!!)
10 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

This is wear in gets interesting, I decided to definitely go with the photo booth idea, here is the early stages of making the housing for the PC and DSLR camera. I wanted it removable as I am still using the bus daily with my boys (all family at the weekends!)
11 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Managed to get the bus featured :) Here is a photo of the completed Booth set up, pretty pleased with it. In the early stages of a re-design now I have the electronics part all proven and working well
12 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

The bus was used as a Photo backdrop at The Big Cake Show in Exeter Westpoint
19 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Full Booth mode!!
13 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

14 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Latest shot of the bus (from Saturday) driving back from a Wedding and I could resist this photo with the sunset coming through the trees :)
15 by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

New addition to the family is an early 60's Motent Trailer tent! Pretty cool, bit tatty, plan is a strip, paint and rebuild inside. Will be adding photos as I go :)
Motent by Yeti Photography UK, on Flickr

Welcome and what a great van and story 8)

Love the use as a portable photo booth (patent pending of course ;) )

Thanks guys! :D

Very pleased how it has come together, looking forward to the rebuild on the booth unit! Still using the Bus as my daily so have a few mechanical jobs on the list:

Replace fuel sender
Whilst the engine is out im going to do a new clutch/release bearing
The bus came with new rear opening quarter light frames so I will be rebuilding these at some point (keep putting it off!)
Needs a headliner in the rear
Eventually I will be switching to a full width Rusty Lee bed (i think)

Should keep me busy! :mrgreen:

IrishPete - What is your plans with yours? Give me shout if you need any advice :)

Latest posts