My 69 Deluxe Microbus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Airtime,

was planning to come over but the weather is not going to be very good, so I think I'll skip Budel.
Today I also lost my clutch somewhere down the road, had to get home without the clutch, pretty hard with all the traffic but I managed to get home.

Maybe we'll meet at EBI2. Will be there for shure.

The picture included shows my bus at Chimay while organising the European Bugtour'In. I just felt the urge to do some offroad just before I smacked my old Fat Chick...

Greetz

Wim

Attachments

• DSC02697.JPG
    DSC02697.JPG
    62.5 KB
I'm not sure if I'm coming to EBI2, because we are expecting a little one around 26th of July. 8) I might come over for one day with the daily. :wink:

Damn,

I didn't see yours. Were you there with your bus?
I just made a new topic of EB's at ebi2.

Greetz
Wim

Last week, I've added some gauges in my bus. I have added an oil pressure and oil temperature (in place of the clock).
The current little sp 1600 doesn't need it but now they are allready there for the bigger engine I'm building.

But now I'm pretty shure the OG engine is almost dead, only 2 bar oilpressure at 3500rmp isn't much. So I better get on with the new engine.

In the picture of the engine, you can see the big connector on the right which I used so I can disconnected fast when I have to take the engine out...

Attachments

• DSC00557.JPG
    DSC00557.JPG
    63.5 KB
  • DSC00567.JPG
    DSC00567.JPG
    63 KB
Today I started getting my 2054 cc engine together.
It is based around a forged 74mm counterweight crankcase, H-beams, 94mm forged Mahle pistons and cilinders.
All this will be mounted in a very good original AS21 case.
The cam is a Engle FK 7.

Attachments

• DSC00564.JPG
    DSC00564.JPG
    55.1 KB
  • DSC00565.JPG
    DSC00565.JPG
    59.4 KB
Today, I worked a little bit more on the bus to make it some more userfriendly.
I've already had some music in front, but today I've added some more at the back for the passengers.
Well most of the time, it's my little boy Vic who's in the back enjoying the ride and waving at people... :D

Attachments

• DSC00592.JPG
    DSC00592.JPG
    51.8 KB
Here are some pictures from my bus late at sutarday evening at EBI 2.
I just love those pictures.
No flash, just a good camera and long opening time gives these awesome pictures...
First 1 no lights, second 1 only stand lights and third 1 all lights on. The pictures were taking at the same time, it was already pretty dark...

Attachments

• DSC04184.JPG
    41.5 KB
  • DSC04187.JPG
    DSC04187.JPG
    35.1 KB
  • DSC04188.JPG
    DSC04188.JPG
    47 KB
Really moody pics 8) , dusk or dawn is always the best time to take pics as the light is much softer! (Helena Christiansen told me that :wink: )

Thanks for the replies.
I shure hope the bus will be a little faster than it is now with the OG 1600 SP.

Greetz

So time for a little update.

As the old SP 1600 was dripping oil all the time and the 2054 is not finished yet, I decided to take out the old 1600.
The heads came of to replace the pushrodtubes and seals.
As the heads were off, I noticed the cilinders were way gone, so a replaced them wit a set forged mahle's I had laying around.
While busy, I also replaced the og oilpump with a 26mm shadek pump for some more pressure and lubrication.
All the seals were replaced, enginetin was cleaned and everything was bolted back together.

While the engine was out, I also cleaned the enginebay up a little. As expected, I didn't find any rust in the engienbay, so this was good news as well. This proves ex-California busses are as good as people say...
Things look better now.

Attachments

• DSC00769.JPG
    DSC00769.JPG
    33.6 KB
  • DSC00779.JPG
    67.7 KB
Here are some more pictures from the things I've done...

Attachments

• DSC00776.JPG
    DSC00776.JPG
    49.5 KB
  • DSC00770.JPG
    DSC00770.JPG
    54.8 KB
  • DSC00780.JPG
    DSC00780.JPG
    57.2 KB
Next planned job, is weld on some Trailer Queen Resto's side plates to narrow a replacemet beam and add some adjusters.
I don't know how much the beam will be narrowed but I'm going for the maximum narrowing.
I also will add some horse shoes plates that are being build right now.
And then I things aren't low enough yet, add some dropped spindles.

I really want to go low while retaining the Bay window beam instead of switching over to split beam and spindles.

And what I'm not shure off yet, is wether I'm going to keep the 14 " og steels or switch over to some 15" alloys. I really like the look of the Enkei five's or Empi 5 Spokes in antracite.
Can you help me out? Any suggestiosn welcome...

Attachments

• Imported%20Photos%2000865.JPG
    Imported%20Photos%2000865.JPG
    139.5 KB
Last week, I gave my bus a good polish.
It went from flat faded paint to a good looking bus again. Now it's ready for the winter to come.
I hope you can see the difference.

Attachments

• DSC00798.JPG
    DSC00798.JPG
    59.8 KB
  • DSC00796.JPG
    DSC00796.JPG
    25.3 KB
  • DSC00792.JPG
    DSC00792.JPG
    59.6 KB
I know this is an older thread (A month, wow) but what did you use to bring the shine back?

Latest posts