My 69 no name camper

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Thought I better start a thread on my camper that I have been building.

It all started about 18 months ago when I was driving my split window around as my daily to and from work and everywhere else I possibly could. I did a heap of driving around and a few big trips, one big one was down to Tasmania from Canberra (yeah I’m an Aussie) which ended up being a round trip of about 3500kms over 2 weeks which was such an amazing trip. I was in love and didn’t want anything to change.... well it did

One day work I had a guy come up to me asking for Matt I said yes that’s me, he said I have a Porsche 911 outside that I was told you might like to buy. A friend of mine had met him earlier that day and they got talking and he sent him around to my work to show me it as he was looking at selling and my mate knew I had always loved them.

So long story short I checked out the porsche fell more in love with a car than I throught was possible and made a deal on the Porsche which meant he would hold if for me for a bit while I dealt with a big bunch of twats as I put my kombi up for offer on the internet and at the end of the day the sale on the kombi was okay but getting to that sale was the worse.

It wasn’t something I ever saw my self selling but I also never thought I would be able to buy a Porsche 911. So with my lovely new/old 76 911 in the shed I felt I was missing something..

The hunt was on and I wanted as early as possible lowlight. I seen and passed on a few as I really didn’t have to much to spend, but I found a guy just out of town who has a massive VW farm. Everything from mk1 golfs to splittys, in saying that the splits have all been bought up but damn does he still have some cars, I would say around about 500 to 600 cars out there. Anyway he was telling me about a 68 lowlight camper that he had out the back on his property. I went and seen it and had a good look and bought it. It is ruff and rusty but it had my name on it. Worked out to come back in a month of so and picked it up.

8kvUkFb.jpg

ub9QZBK.jpg

k5gst4p.png

So as you can see I got excited and didn’t check the cars date. Ended up being a early 69, from what I can work out it is a late 68 but dated a 69 so I was still happy.

A few months later I had it home on the trailer and started clearing out the shit that was in it

iiCkQ6D.jpg

SKXsrvV.jpg

There was so much junk too I will show a little bit

gNnp3nD.jpg

0cJZc8m.jpg

d45lgQT.jpg

Had to pull out all the old wood off the floor that was falling apart and other bits of junk, old maps and snorkel and so so much other little bits, the van had a small fire which was the reason it got taken off the road and I’m guessing everything else was just left in it.

JWHr07A.jpg

KPXaEPi.jpg

Someone has used house insulation which is what gave me most of my side rust problems

I6QlHC0.jpg

KLqpGlf.jpg

So pulled everything played with the pop top a little and started to get it in the shed and pull the rest of it apart

ZlSNTPy.jpg

hqOxhRX.jpg

rdKI3Xw.jpg

onQ5SpC.jpg

WVioxxH.jpg

X7NocOI.jpg

Now the rest of the front was rusty and shit and so started getting into it

5ZrAjeZ.jpg

F1OTMie.jpg

Got 99% of the van all pulled apart and got it on a shitty stand that I built to put my old splity on when I was doing it and just re drilled the front beam mounts to on the stand and got it all fitting not to bad for a sh#tty stand.

OIPlXhS.jpg

iGvfY11.jpg

htY2xAY.jpg

Last bit before I Leave this post the best part I found was when cleaning to start to get it on the stand was this

bmFOuar.jpg

I was so happy and shocked to find it, as the key was lost in the past someone must of left the OG lock and put another one in and when I went to check if it fit in the OG ignition barrel it fit and I couldn’t stop smiling!!

Great intro! Some nice original feature there, and a good pile of junk too..

After 7 years mine is still 'the van with no name'. Don't feel pressured into calling it Belinda or Gareth, or whatever

thanks for having a read everyone

few answers and my computer is being a pain with trying to quote

i wont be keeping the patina unfortunately as my lady in crime has decided that we need a nice looking kombi this time

hahaha no the key wasn't held on with chewing gum it was a wing nut and bolt but the bolt was a bit rusted and weird looking, I ended up having to cut it off as when i went to turn the wing nut the wings broke off in my hands.

No plans for a name at the moment im not the biggest fan of them.

OKay now for some more catch up!!

After getting it all blown apart i started cutting the lower nose up and the lower screen

but before that i was pulling the top of the dash apart i found that all the screws were covered in little plastic covers im guessing heaps of people know this but i thought it was just an awesome little touch.

it was a mess heaps of old body filler and news paper
okay im sorry more photos!!! its all were here for!!

EDWeHFr.jpg

nIGszQE.jpg

gNqVdJq.jpg

AG9Urmr.jpg

VThPglA.jpg

C63trJF.jpg

ViycobO.jpg

08QiFmi.jpg

UmYOkR8.jpg

Time to start cutting and so many rust!!

PIF95NN.jpg

VkXys8x.jpg

RWnCqLA.jpg

drilling out all the spot welds, sucks even more when you can even see where they are

xHOL5x2.jpg

and apparently i cant take in focus photos sorry

when i was working out how to tackle the job i really couldn't find many post showing people how to remove the lower inner valance with out damaging the inner.

The main part on the frame rails which i found very similar on both sides so im guessing pretty much the same for most lowlights which might help if your looking for where they are. There are 4 welds in 3 rows as in photo, i chopped the the top of the 3 row off so looks like there is only 3.

anyway on the top i wire wheeled and found and drilled out the top welds which were a bit everywhere but when it came to getting it off i didn't want to ruin the top so was able to slowly cut with a grinder through one layer and then was able to flex the small part a little to break the weld did that a lot of times and got it all off. worked really well and thought i should show it so other might be able to do the same.

really hope that make sense

WS4ddye.jpg

bAEFsyG.jpg

7nSoyRY.jpg

Now for the front windscreen

dH9m1UD.jpg

XdwDWQy.jpg

then came the carnage and pile of rusty rubbish

bdyWNSu.jpg

from there i started on the lower nose

i missed parts of repairing the lower A pillars and welding in the inner structure.
but here is the test fitting on the outer

g0GOPQW.jpg

Ps old couches mum gives you are really good for kneeling on

last bit working on the floor doing a few little repairs and putting in a new drivers side.
the Presevation panel was pretty nice but i had to do a few touch ups and had to weld up the acc hole as it was in the wrong spot no matter what i did.

WRwnn6O.jpg

SZmkzAE.jpg

4GTzKoN.jpg

marked the spot welds and welded it in and started getting the front windscreen repair lined up

WUG5XMV.jpg

few roofing screws really helped.

okay so i forgot to get after welding photos. but you know what they looks like.

Thanks for watching!!

Cheers Matt

Pffft fire retardant no time for that

So since I have done the floor and started on the front I rolled the kombi over and started on the under floor repairs.

I didn't take to many photos of it tho.

So I have the ones below but I have started a YouTube channel for both my projects. I will put up more photos when I take them and also put the video links when I release them.

Thanks for watching :)

https://youtu.be/Tg5Iww9g7Ko
72bbeb9c3d14d26ff5de2f068cddba16.jpg
dee4d3b8d79caaf42dcd0eeaba57f8ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Great topic, subscribed. Your pics and info will definitely help me with my ‘69.

Throw up a pic of the 911!

Only cause you asked and I love this car so much.
Thanks for subscribing and having a watch. The clips are really fun to make so I'm going to keep them coming.

Cheers Matt
c69877e1a4d87c02d4c6d0d8844b08fb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

okay time for a new episode. i have all the underside prepped and now i get to paint it.

https://youtu.be/pwXwJGFu_h8

thanks Matt

Time for a new up date
Had a bit of trouble with my camera But all worked out okay. Thanks for having a read and have a watch if you get a chance

Thanks Matt

https://youtu.be/jlFSt_-_lp8

So small update

I have still been recording and putting my stuff up on youtube if anyone wants to have a watch

https://youtu.be/0CuF4hZ32Ow

I have just been trying to tick things off and get this thing closer to getting some body work done. I have been doing a few rust repairs
and have quite a few more to do.
One question I was going to ask if any one can tell me can I fit a later bay window door on a lowlight? I have been told you can but I'm not 100% sure.. some people say its a straight swap some others say you can't but after having a look they look the same but the locks are different. can anyone help please?

thanks for having a look

Cheers

Some nice work going on - looks like you are enjoying yourself ;)
Love the Porsche :)

Little bit more work getting down.

https://youtu.be/FS1_p9f-T6E

got a few little rust repairs done and the hand brakes working.
Paint stripping is not a fun job but so cool to watch when its doing its job.

Would anyone have a link to adjusting a sliding door. I have seen a heap of topics on it but nothing
that shows how its all done properly?

Thanks

Latest posts