My august 1971 bay window

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,..... its sounds like you may have bought a "wrong un", like has been said above all the numbers should match, and they more than likely dont for a reason im sorry to say, (hope im wrong though of course).........have you asked the seller who he bought the van from?, did he do the work on it?..... or who did the work on it previous to you buying it etc?,.....like clem said i think if you contact the DVLA they would probably assume its stolen and "ringed", im not sure what would happen then, i dont know if they would impound it etc, id start by asking for my money back from the seller, ...........like i said hope im wrong and you get this sorted :(

.......................kev

Three options I think.

1 Push the seller for a refund. Van is not as described (was it from eBay? ... how did you pay?) If he's genuinely innocent then I guess he won't mind the cops being brought in? It's a gamble though, you may lose the van?

2 Contact DVLA and come clean. Best case the van gets a 73 identity and alls well . Worse case, they may impound it.

3 Keep schtumn, fix it up how you want and enjoy the tax free status. You might get a tug one day though, and if you sell it you'll be selling on a problem ...

I thinking would probably be pursuing Option one ...

Good luck.

Kevin2410 said:
Hi, I've spoken to the seller tonight about the vans history. He told me he bought it as a 1971 van and sold it as such. Then told me to go through DVLA. Kind of fobbed me off really. I've not really got anywhere else to turn but DVLA I think!! What's your advice? :(

You need to look at the chassis number stamped into the metal of your van. Make sure its not been tampered with or patch welded into place. See my previous post on where to find it.

If this number is 2332097956 (the one matching the M code) then it would seem the seller has supplied you with the wrong logbook and I would suggest you speak with the DVLA to get their advice on how to proceed.

The problem is that the vehicle may have been fiddled with an older logbook to get tax free status but on the other hand it may be ringed because it was stolen.

Agree with Trikky, the number is clearly stamped in the engine bay surround on a crossover onwards, if its been tampered with you will be able to tell as its stamped into the original pressing.

If its missing or been altered then the van could be stolen or deliberately tampered with to make it look younger, if the chassis number is not there at all then it definitely been tampered with.

Whereabouts are you as I'm sure someone local to you will gladly come and have a look?

Just looking back at the M code details the van will still be tax free anyway based on those details as it was BUILT before the 31st December 1972 so if its a tax exempt van in the first place why would anyone tamper with the chassis number etc??

Something not quite right here

thats a bit harsh to learn that your van has been rung just to save a few quid on car tax. ive seen a few around in the past few years :( . hope you get to the bottom of it mate. how long have you had it? i am sure the guy who sold it must have broke the law in some way by selling it

Latest posts