New Forest Campsite recommendations

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EpsomAir

Reaction score
Please can anyone recommend any good campsites in the new forest area that has decent facilities and that aren't too commercial/touristy.... Ta

I've used the Forest Holidays site at Ocknell. No set pitches & just has a toliet block.
Might be worth booking in advance as when we went a few weeks ago they were almost full the number is 02380 812 740

I can vouch for ocknell. went there for girlfriend birthday end of July, absolutly stunning. You will need rock pegs though for an awning. Its an old air base, and you cant hammer pegs into the ground. Get a forest holidays memership and its only £3 pound cheaper a night. No showers but does have toilers so we filled up buckets of hot water and used a portable 12v shower from maplins for £10.

sandy balls!! yep thats what it is called, fordingbridge new forest, great site, got what you need but not to much, not the cheapest, must say havent been for a while but great site, take your rock pegs. and your bike.

Sandy balls is very big and very commercial though. Having been to many New Forest sites i would reccomend two above others. Ashurst being the best and Hollands wood. you will need to book well in advance for both though during high season.

Roundhills (http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cam...__locations/england/new_forest/roundhill.aspx) and Holands Wood (http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cam...tions/england-1/new_forest/hollands_wood.aspx) in Brockenhurst are both good but they do get busy. Rushcroft Farm (http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=6833) in Sway is quite basic but it doesn't get too busy, if you go there in your van give me a shout as I live just round the corner, unfortunately it is near the trainline one of the local pubs has recently closed so it's 10/15 minute walk to the pub. Another good one is the Red Shoot (http://www.redshoot-campingpark.com/) in Linwood which has a pub and a microbrewery on site and right in the forest.

Thanks very much people for all your replies just trying to sort dates to get in to one of them. I will let you know how I get on. :D

Hollands wood has good facilities, no marked pitches all they ask is consideration for others. BUT..... mind out for the horses in the night, they'll go through anything you leave out, we got woken early hours by a horse in our gazibo

Holland's Wood also say 'no fires' but I counted dozens last time I went, nice site but not cheap and not the quietest place I've been at night either.
Pubs in walking distance is a bonus but I'm pretty sure that was the reason there was so much racket. :lol:

we just got back from a long weekend at ashurst - great campsite in the woods, great pub nearby with fantastic kids play area and centrally located so good to get to the rest of new forest + its own train station for trips to winchester etc if the weather turns to custard!

Try Hill Cottage Farm at Fordingbridge, they're campervan friendly and will allow you to stay for single nights.

They have full facilities and are not expensive, we use them a lot for single nights away.

No limit to site of pitch, hooks up all over, showers, loos, kids play area, shop etc........... 8)

the general rule at Hollands Wood re fires is 'not to burn wood' if you have a firepit they let you burn charcoal which is what we did last time we were there. Ashurst is still my fave but unless you book well in advance then forget it which i find REALLY annoying coz some people cannot plan in advance....hey ho. My advice to last min campers like us is to get a list of the non forestry commissioned sites in the Forest as the seem to get less full. We went to a loverly little site 15 mins from ashurst on the coast that other week, loverly it was. Very informal, good shop on site, good (but tired) facilities and they have a wood delivery girl who comes round at 1800 and sells you logs for your camp fire. Really nice, wish i could remember their bloomin name!
Gripe of the day for me is that the forestry bommission should hold back say 5% of space for last min campers like me!!!! rubbish driving from site to site to be greeted by SITE FULL signs!!!
OOh while i think of it a little gem can be found at The New Forest Water Park (sure thats the name) were there is a great lake with a lovely clubhouse and bar and they do ski ing wake boarding donuts etc, full suite hire. They have a terrific little camping area wiith a five a side pitch right next to the water. Really good site for a little group just need to watch the littluns with the water

Latest posts