New Member, New Bus...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holeydub

Reaction score
Hey all, long time vzi member and enthusiast...

Have taken the plunge and bought myself a late 69 (70 model) Westy cali import, picked it up from Jonno in Bristol earlier this week in anticipation of getting it roadworthy for Volksworld.

There's shed loads of work. Tiny bit of welding above the front jacking points and cab floor, engine, gearbox, wiring, interior, westy roof liner, front screen, brakes, beam etc etc. Planning on getting it Mot'd Monday week ready for its registration with the dvla, its not gonna be complete but mostly there and at least usable for the weekend camping ticket i've already paid for :shock:

Plans for sorting the dented front end and satin clear coating the body and roof, re-laminating the Westy interior, notching the chassis will hopefully happen before Spa and then its onto figuring out the seat recovering situation...

These are the pics i have for now and will update them later in the week with the progress 8) 8) 8)

Got your work cut out! Definitely got potential, bet it'll be a lovely looking bus once the obvious cosmetics are sorted ( ie the massive hole in the windscreen!! haha)

Good luck!

Looking forward to this one, and it does look pretty solid and that`s the main thing. Big welcome to the Early Bay site as well, it`s also a great place for wanted ads for the harder to get bits too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, See you in a field somewhere :mrgreen:

cheers guys, typically i've come down with a sh#tty cold and struggling but i'm still making some progress ;) its all either on order or already here to install...

so far

Hot pressured washed in and out
Screens changed
Furniture is out and drying
Floor treated awaiting paint
Dash stripped ready for cleaning
Seats stripped
All the cr#ps hoovered out
Old poptop liner removed
Ignition barrel stripped with door locks (arranged new keys)
Ratty bullet ridden engine lid fitted
Rear valance fitted

bits i've got sorted so far

T2D link pin narrowed beam, drop spindles and adjustable plates ordered
CSP rear 5x130 drums ordered
Gearbox found (arriving on Saturday)
Driveshafts found (picking this week)
Moustache bar found (picking up this week)
944 front brake discs organised (picking up this week)
Pop top liner arrived
Rear brake internals arrived
Repair panels arrived (being cut & fitted tomorrow)

i'm gonna take some pics once the fuch's and beams installed that way it'll look like i've done something lol this week :)

Jesus wept - how fast do you want to get it done? I don't even think that fast! :lol:

holeydub said:
cheers guys, typically i've come down with a sh#tty cold and struggling but i'm still making some progress ;) its all either on order or already here to install...

so far

Hot pressured washed in and out
Screens changed
Furniture is out and drying
Floor treated awaiting paint
Dash stripped ready for cleaning
Seats stripped
All the cr#ps hoovered out
Old poptop liner removed
Ignition barrel stripped with door locks (arranged new keys)
Ratty bullet ridden engine lid fitted
Rear valance fitted

bits i've got sorted so far

T2D link pin narrowed beam, drop spindles and adjustable plates ordered
CSP rear 5x130 drums ordered
Gearbox found (arriving on Saturday)
Driveshafts found (picking this week)
Moustache bar found (picking up this week)
944 front brake discs organised (picking up this week)
Pop top liner arrived
Rear brake internals arrived
Repair panels arrived (being cut & fitted tomorrow)

i'm gonna take some pics once the fuch's and beams installed that way it'll look like i've done something lol this week :)

No pictures, then I don't believe you :)

Haha seriously I am doing it...

Little update

CSP rear 5x130 drums on and rebuilt brakes, measured up the 15x7 1970's repro Fuchs on the rear and they look a treat tyres hopefully going on tomorrow.
Welding/ seam seal/ paint done including patching the crap front floor (I'll be dealing with that later when I tub the fronts).
Fuel tank pulled inspected for rot and bad fuel cleaned, cleaned the area it sits and reinstalled.
Few of the tents in the rear tub areas pushed back into alignment.
Engine bay vacuumed and starting to polish up...

It is getting there, really just waiting on the gearbox and T2D beam and 944 brakes and then I've at least got it rolling ;)

There was however one serious cockup yesterday whilst I was welding above the jacking points. My bloody lower sliding door arm/roller decided to crack and dump the whole sliding door on my neighbours 205 front wing!!! :oops: it's left an awful dent on her car and dented the corner of my door and swage line, I've managed to sort mine I'm just hoping she won't get me to repair hers too :(

Pics hopefully on Sunday :)

Haha lost a week with late deliveries and unexpected extra works...

However beams on just need dropped spindles attaching in the morning, engines and gearbox is in just needs an exhaust now, most of the electrics has been made safe. Hoping to have it driving by the weekend. Mot'd next week with paperwork in the post and I'll be running the Cali plates until the new reg arrives ;)

Latest posts