New member to EarlyBay.com with a 1971 converted panel van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanTheDoc

Reaction score
Hello all,

I picked up 'Rusty', our 1971 converted panel van in about July and I've been meaning to get on here to meet like minded people.

Basically I needed something to do as I've gone from being an Engineer in overalls to an Engineer in a suit and the plan was to do a slow and steady restoration. Unfortunately the completely rotten guttering put a stop to that so everything is on hold until I can afford to get the roof fixed!

We've been out for a weekend in her once but without any insulation and in September, my 10 month old son didn't do so well with the cold so we only lasted one night!

Anyway, enough rambling, here's some photos for you, if anybody knows of this van and any history, good or bad, please let me know as I currently don't know anything about her:

DSC02877.jpg

DSC02878-1.jpg

Not sure about the flowers but I took one off inside and it ripped the paint off with it...

DSC02880-1.jpg

This steering wheel is going as it's crazy hard to steer!

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02868.jpg

And a couple of the rusty guttering for you..

DSC02844.jpg

DSC02840.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures

Dan

Not keeping the wheel to save on gym membership? :lol:

If you use a hair dryer on the stickers to warm the adhesive it shouldn't take the paint off with them, will just leave a sticky residue that'll come off with a bit of meths, panel wipe etc

Van looks nice 8) - is it just the guttering which is a bit rusty :D

Are the seats from a Ford??

Looking forward to see what mischief the van provides you ;)

ProfessorWheeto: Not a bad money saving idea! I might swap it for a 10 incher from a mini...

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that with the hairdryer.

gninnam: I think there is a bit of rust on every panel but it is only the guttering that is completely shot. It seems as though it has had a bottom half restoration at some point because all the arches are good and the bottom six inches and complete underside are good. To be honest though, I haven't started tapping anything yet so it could all just look ok. Look what happened when I started tapping the guttering!

The seats are from a Sierra Saphire Cosworth I think as there is no lever to let them tip forward.

Latest posts