New steering box from Heritage anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who?1

Reaction score
https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/bay-bus/211415049H/steering-box-t2-8-72-79-lhd-new/?crumbStartPage=1&crumbStartRow=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This appears to be a great price and would go along way to improving my wandering steering.

Or would I be better off going for a T25 conversion with Midland Early bay?

Your thoughts and experinces appreciated.

Matt

here it is matt

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=57377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I converted to late bay box. It's awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

There's nothing stopping you stripping your existing 'box down, and having a look to see what the problems are. Some of them are easily fixed. What I would say is to leave the adjustment screw on the cover and the nut on the output shaft alone until you know that you've got a plan of action. Everything else you can unbolt to your heart's content.

You'll likely come into one of two issues-

First, and most likely, galling on the peg that rides in your steering worm. This'll make your steering graunchy in the middle, or you'll have shit loads of play to avoid that. This can be fixed for about £100 (new pegs are available from VW Heritage and GSF)

Secondly, and least likely, the bearings in your steering worm might be bollocksed. This'll make your steering box graunchy all the way through it's travel. I got this sorted for £6.38 in bearings and a six pack of beer for a guy with a lathe and a 4-jaw chuck.

Other than that, maybe you'll have play in your output shaft where it rides in the case, but I've never seen that before. And maybe your seals have gone, if your 'box leaks. They're about £3 each and are a piece of piss to fit.

who? said:
six said:
I converted to late bay box. It's awesome.

mmmmmm I am very tempted to give Graham a call.

Do it. For the effort involved his price is cheap. If my van was drivable at the time I'd have got him to do it.

mine was leaking and had it packed with grease and she passed. I also picked up one on ebay but with upside down filler eg lhd so will use if original is kaput

Latest posts